Hicks activated, Cowser optioned

MurphDogg

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Are Hicks’ numbers for the whole season, or just his time with the O’s?

For me this is a simple example of conservative roster management.  If they kept Cowser and DFA’d Hicks, Hicks would likely be claimed by another team and would be unavailable to us if Cowser continued to struggle.  If the send Cowser to the minors and Hicks struggles mightily, they can always go back to Cowser later.  So, absent a compelling reason why we need to have Cowser on the major league team right now, we preserve our options down the road by bringing Hicks back.  

As I write this, Hicks boots a ground single in LF and allows Bogaerts an extra base.  Cut him!

They are all season numbers.

And I agree that this is their thinking but again, to what end? What is the big deal about keeping him around for the playoffs? What do you envision him being that you need to keep Him around?

Just now, Sports Guy said:

They are all season numbers.

And I agree that this is their thinking but again, to what end? What is the big deal about keeping him around for the playoffs? What do you envision him being that you need to keep Him around?

A backup OF if someone is banged up or needs a blow.  

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

A backup OF if someone is banged up or needs a blow.  

In the playoffs? You plan on “resting” guys in the playoffs for a player who isn’t good?

His role is the same as Mateo..very situational…a situation that may not come up and one that may be redundant because of Frazier.

The only thing that makes any sense to me is you want him for Mullins insurance since he has had the injury twice. The problem with that is Hicks isn’t that good in CF anymore, so does that really matter?  

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

In the playoffs? You plan on “resting” guys in the playoffs for a player who isn’t good?

His role is the same as Mateo..very situational…a situation that may not come up and one that may be redundant because of Frazier.

The only thing that makes any sense to me is you want him for Mullins insurance since he has had the injury twice. The problem with that is Hicks isn’t that good in CF anymore, so does that really matter?  

Does Cowser inspire confidence in CF either?  Even if Hicks is just okay in CF I think he's looked better there than Cowser has.   If Cowser could play CF even at an average level, then I'd probably leave him up over Hicks, even with his (currently) awful bat.

44 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I guess so.

I just find the sense of entitlement around here exhausting at times.  And by that I mean sometimes some people expect these rookies to come up and dominate right away.  Sometimes that happens, sometimes it doesn't....but the freaking out about guys when they don't hit right away is insufferable.  

Dude, now you know that isn’t me. Not at all. 

59 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, when you just want to throw sh** at the wall and see if it sticks, that’s the type of stuff you say. It doesn’t matter that it’s nonsensical or not true..it’s just something that sounds good.

It is actually hysterical when you tell me how wrong I am about my own opinion of what I see. 🤣

6 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Does Cowser inspire confidence in CF either?  Even if Hicks is just okay in CF I think he's looked better there than Cowser has.   If Cowser could play CF even at an average level, then I'd probably leave him up over Hicks, even with his (currently) awful bat.

I’m going to say this clearly, as this keeps getting asked and I have said it over and over again.

Colton Cowser is not a CFer. He never has been and he never will be. At no point now or anytime in the future do I believe in his ability to be a CFer.

• Upvote 2

I’m going to say this clearly, as this keeps getting asked and I have said it over and over again.

Colton Cowser is not a CFer. He never has been and he never will be. At no point now or anytime in the future do I believe in his ability to be a CFer.

He was probably a great pitcher/shortstop/center fielder when he was playing youth baseball.

That's my point though... if he can't play CF, he's not hitting, and we need another CFer as insurance for Mullins, then we need to keep Hicks.

4 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

It is actually hysterical when you tell me how wrong I am about my own opinion of what I see. 🤣

But it’s not.  You are saying he’s lost confidence (when he hasn’t). That’s just made up stuff. I’m actually surprised to see you saying it. I expect it from some on here but not you.

He talked about it recently. Yes, he has had some confidence issues..just as every single pro player goes through anytime they are slumping.

He isn’t overwhelmed up here. He’s not driving the ball and the defense has been shaky, although I think it’s been a little better the last week overall.

But none of this was an issue according to any scout, so I’m not worried about it at all. Just needs to work through it.