Braves 2023

Just Regular

As their team SLG hit .500 three quarters of the way through the year, Brian Kenny's show today did some side by sides of their offense vs. the usual suspects - Big Red Machine and some of the great Yankees and Dodgers teams.

Acuna leading off everyday may end up with a Runs Scored tally we haven't seen in quite a while - scanning B-Ref Single Season Runs Scored, the only 150+ seasons I notice since integration are 2000 Bagwell and 1949 Williams.     A-Rod 15 some years back was the last 140.

Acuna's at 109 in team game 119 with maybe one more PA to come tonight.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Hallas said:

I know that in theory anything can happen in a best of 7, but man if it's the braves vs orioles in the WS, it's going to be really hard not to just chalk it up as a loss before the series starts.

I don’t understand that attitude.  We lost a tight 2-1 series when we played them in May.  They’re probably a better team but that only means they have a slight advantage in a 7 game series.

Strider is just a fascinating story of baseball development.    I don't even know the full telling, but hope we get a nice weeklong head to head to learn it more.

In Drellich's book, I think its Colin Wyers who was described in the story as the Sig Mejdal rival nerd....the basic separator being Wyers' enthusiasm to integrate new inputs a little quicker than Sig.     These recent results suggest whatever insights Wyers (or whoever it was) were keen to integrate have borne some fruit.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/colin-wyers-b061544b

15 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Strider is just a fascinating story of baseball development.    I don't even know the full telling, but hope we get a nice weeklong head to head to learn it more.

In Drellich's book, I think its Colin Wyers who was described in the story as the Sig Mejdal rival nerd....the basic separator being Wyers' enthusiasm to integrate new inputs a little quicker than Sig.     These recent results suggest whatever insights Wyers (or whoever it was) were keen to integrate have borne some fruit.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/colin-wyers-b061544b

If I see the timing of their employment, it looks like they overlapped with the Houston Astros for a short period.

On 9/4/2023 at 2:56 PM, Frobby said:

I don’t understand that attitude.  We lost a tight 2-1 series when we played them in May.  They’re probably a better team but that only means they have a slight advantage in a 7 game series.

This is what I'm interested in. I've read several posts stating that the Braves would beat the O's in a WS. How do you define the better team? 

2 minutes ago, Idaho_OriolesFan said:

This is what I'm interested in. I've read several posts stating that the Braves would beat the O's in a WS. How do you define the better team? 

The Braves have better pitching (allowed fewer runs).

The Braves have better hitting(have scored more runs).

The Braves have a better record.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Idaho_OriolesFan said:

Except many times the better team doesn't win the World Series. Otherwise the Orioles would have a couple more World Series titles. I wasn't even around for 1969 and I get bummed out thinking about losing to the Mets.

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Except many times the better team doesn't win the World Series. Otherwise the Orioles would have a couple more World Series titles. I wasn't even around for 1969 and I get bummed out thinking about losing to the Mets.

You have no idea how horrible that was.  Thought that Mets team did win 100 games and went 82-39 after a losing first quarter of the season.  They weren’t bad, but that O’s team was a super-team.  

I'll just throw this here as Dodgers 2023 doesn't seem necessary this late.    If we come out of the AL, anyone outside ATL-LAD would be a bargain.

The Dodgers had been pumping the gas on Buehler's return from his 2nd TJ, something Jay Jaffe over at Fangraphs had noticed and I think fair to say considered irresponsible.     After Kershaw's last game, I'd also heard a strange sounding report where Roberts gave some quote out like, Kershaw's battling shoulder problems, but he's just going to pitch through it.

Edited by Just Regular