Musical Chairs for the O's pitching staff

wildcard

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If you can send down Fuji, it needs to happen yesterday. He’s completely unreliable. See if he can be fixed.

If he can’t be sent down, the idea that you can’t DFA him is completely wrong. The Os are in a pennant race with an eye on the postseason roster. Fuji can not be on the postseason roster as of now because there is no way you can rely on him.

Ubaldo pothole, tired arm, lower back soreness, twisted ankle, Ohtani PTSD, etc. Where there is a will there is a way.

35 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If you can send down Fuji, it needs to happen yesterday. He’s completely unreliable. See if he can be fixed.

If he can’t be sent down, the idea that you can’t DFA him is completely wrong. The Os are in a pennant race with an eye on the postseason roster. Fuji can not be on the postseason roster as of now because there is no way you can rely on him.

Do we have a better, more reliable alternative? I don't think Voth is that guy. I would like to see what Fuji does in the last month. 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Do we have a better, more reliable alternative? I don't think Voth is that guy. I would like to see what Fuji does in the last month. 

In the upcoming weeks we could have Means, Hall, Columbe, and Wells added to the roster. Vespi goes down for 1 of them and the roster expansion makes room for 1 more. 

2 minutes ago, Brian88 said:

In the upcoming weeks we could have Means, Hall, Columbe, and Wells added to the roster. Vespi goes down for 1 of them and the roster expansion makes room for 1 more. 

True, I would take those guys (healthy) over Fuji. Vespi is one spot, extra spot is another. We could bump a starter and go back to five. Would still need another spot to keep Fuji. Dang it, I like Fuji. 

42 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Yea, we will. 

The postseason roster will likely only have 11-12 pitchers on it.

You don’t rely on a bunch of arms like you do now. 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

True, I would take those guys (healthy) over Fuji. Vespi is one spot, extra spot is another. We could bump a starter and go back to five. Would still need another spot to keep Fuji. Dang it, I like Fuji. 

I like Fuji, I like a bullpen that doesn't implode more. 

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Honestly, I don’t think we see Hall until rosters expand at earliest. 

I suspect that your are right.  I just don't want to wait for an artificial date if he is better than someone on the 26 man now. I am hoping that he repeats the end of last season and can be a real weapon out of the pen.  Maybe he isn't ready and needs the extra time. I just don't think there is anything magical about the date rosters expand. I don't understand the thinking there. If he's ready, he's ready. 

10 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

I suspect that your are right.  I just don't want to wait for an artificial date if he is better than someone on the 26 man now. I am hoping that he repeats the end of last season and can be a real weapon out of the pen.  Maybe he isn't ready and needs the extra time. I just don't think there is anything magical about the date rosters expand. I don't understand the thinking there. If he's ready, he's ready. 

But, he’s not ….he has good stuff, Ala Fuji, but he struggles with control. There are too many guys near ready who offer better options right now Voth, Coulombe, and Means.

12 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

But, he’s not ….he has good stuff, Ala Fuji, but he struggles with control. There are too many guys near ready who offer better options right now Voth, Coulombe, and Means.

I don't think Hall is anything like Fuji. He was dominant at the end of last year in a relief role and appears to be back to full strength after his injury and his stint in Sarasota. DL has allowed two runs in his last 5 appearances while striking out 15 batters in 6 2/3 IP. Last time out he struck out the side on 15 pitches. He velo is up and I would rather see him in the pen over Voth, Fuji and Vespi. He has the potential to be like Hader was his first few years. Enter into the game in the 6th and carry it to through the 7th and even 8th innings on occasion. He could be a shutdown middle guy like Andrew Miller was in 2014 and I a I am dreaming on him to do that. I am looking forward to both Means and Coulmbe returning and along with Hall they could really transform the pen into as good or better than KC's 2014 version. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I don't think Hall is anything like Fuji. He was dominant at the end of last year in a relief role and appears to be back to full strength after his injury and his stint in Sarasota. DL has allowed two runs in his last 5 appearances while striking out 15 batters in 6 2/3 IP. Last time out he struck out the side on 15 pitches. He velo is up and I would rather see him in the pen over Voth, Fuji and Vespi. He has the potential to be like Hader was his first few years. Enter into the game in the 6th and carry it to through the 7th and even 8th innings on occasion. He could be a shutdown middle guy like Andrew Miller was in 2014 and I a I am dreaming on him to do that. I am looking forward to both Means and Coulmbe returning and along with Hall they could really transform the pen into as good or better than KC's 2014 version. 

I don't think we saw enough from Hall last year to declare him dominant. So far he has looked good since coming back from Florida... but we just sent him to Florida during an active season. I want to see some sustained success before throwing him into a playoff run. We have good options to get through a playoff series now without Hall or Fuji.

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't think we saw enough from Hall last year to declare him dominant. So far he has looked good since coming back from Florida... but we just sent him to Florida during an active season. I want to see some sustained success before throwing him into a playoff run. We have good options to get through a playoff series now without Hall or Fuji.

It was a SSS but at the end of the year )I think last 8 appearances) he was dominant. I referenced that SSS in an earlier post. I acknowledged that I am dreaming a little on him but while we might be able to get by without him. He has the most upside of any of the guys who could be added (unless you count Means) to a middle relief role. Now is the time to find out IMHO. My initial point was that the September 1 date was arbitrary. 

37 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

What are the rules for the cutoff date that players must be on roster to be on playoff roster?  What about players that were on the 26 man roster earlier in the season.  Do players like Means on the long term IL get an exception?

From MLB.com

In a typical season, any player who is on the 40-man roster or 60-day injured list as of 11:59 p.m. ET on Aug. 31 is eligible for the postseason.

Those on the restricted list at that point are also eligible if they haven't been suspended for performance-enhancing drugs during that season. (All players who have served a suspension for PEDs in a given season are ineligible for postseason play that year.)

A player who doesn't meet said criteria for postseason eligibility can still be added to a team's roster in the postseason via petition to the Commissioner's Office if the player was in the organization on Aug. 31 and is replacing someone who is on the injured list and has served the minimum amount of time required for activation. (For example, a player on the 10-day injured list who has been on it for at least 10 days, or a player who has been on the 60-day injured list for at least 60 days.) Players who are acquired in September or after are ineligible.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/postseason-roster-rules-eligibility

• Thanks 1