John Angelos continues to remind us how awful he is

Sports Guy

29 minutes ago, baltfan said:

This really doesn't seem like much of anything to me.  Was there anyone here who thought they were going to be able to keep their entire core?  Even the Braves (Freddie Freeman) didn't.  As for the Kevin Brown thing, if it was a mistake then why wasn't it rectified as soon as it became a story?

It’s not about keeping “all” of the core together long term. Heck the Astros haven’t even done that. But I believe it’s a pretty clear signal that they won’t be spending to keep “any” of the core long term. And what that means for people like Elias and Sig who will have other options.

This is why I am in favor of bringing up Holliday and Kjerstad at the beginning of next season and maybe even making some impact trades that cost serious prospects (beyond the aforementioned). 

This is a short term window at best 5 years tops before Angelos nukes/destroys the thing.

4 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

If this club is such a money pit and he only sees it changing for the worse, why in the world would the Angelos family continue to own this team?

The biggest reason is it is their main source of revenue now and they are basically waiting for the owner to pass away because of tax consequences of selling before he passes away.  Until this resolves itself they are going to run this as cheap as they can.

2 minutes ago, brucewayne said:

I'm enjoying the 6 years of Gunnar and will enjoy the 6 years of Holliday. That's what it is. 6 years and I'm loving every second of it. 

I highly doubt it is 6 years.  It will either be 4 (maybe 5) or far more than 6.  I can’t imagine them letting him hit free agency with only a comp pick in return.

3 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

He's trying to force the State to do the land grab needed for his development, the proceed of which go to ownership.  No lease until he gets which he has already been told isn't feasible from a logistics standpoint. 

Why right now?   Because he can't help make himself and not the team the center of attention.  He's trending and getting slammed for doing just that on social media.  

That might make some fans nervous, considering the frustrations of the last three decades.

30 years of this family.  Thirty.  Years.   BASTA.  

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Aglets said:

Can someone explain to me how money works?

Like, hypothetically if a team can afford a $150M payroll in 2016.

What would change about the nature of money seven years later so that the team can no longer afford that payroll?

Looks like we were a top 10 payroll that year.

In 2016 the owner had a thriving law practice bringing in millions of dollars outside of the bottom line of the baseball team.

41 minutes ago, brucewayne said:

The Yankees are the enemy. If he goes there he is a turncoat. That's why I don't want Mussina in the Orioles HOF. He was finished with me the moment he went to the highest bidder. 

If the Chinese or Russian Army wanted to pay me more money than the American Army I wouldn't leave. 

Thanks to you, John Rambo, we don't need an American army, just you.

9 minutes ago, accinfo said:

In 2016 the owner had a thriving law practice bringing in millions of dollars outside of the bottom line of the baseball team.

HAHAHAHA OMG I can't even respond to this absurdity how I want because I would surely get banned. You have to be like 12. 

• Downvote 3

1 minute ago, TradeAngelos said:

HAHAHAHA OMG I can't even respond to this absurdity how I want because I would surely get banned. You have to be like 12. 

Don't attack me, I am just stating a fact not defending Angelos.  I am 63 years old by the way.

50 minutes ago, baltfan said:

This really doesn't seem like much of anything to me.  Was there anyone here who thought they were going to be able to keep their entire core?  Even the Braves (Freddie Freeman) didn't.  As for the Kevin Brown thing, if it was a mistake then why wasn't it rectified as soon as it became a story?

While the Braves had a number they wouldn't go past for Freeman, they also immediately reallocated that money to a strong replacement.

• Upvote 1