John Angelos continues to remind us how awful he is

Sports Guy

11 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

They absolutely have NOT been using "small market" that long. It used to be "middle market" or something like that until recently. And right, no one thinks like this I'm just making it up. These people are STILL all over the place. You want me to pollute this thread with endless OH poster quotes saying essentially the same thing? I won't torture you like that, but I could. 

OF COURSE those people are still around.  There are also people that think the world is flat and that we didn't land on the moon.  There are probably less than 5 people that contribute on this site that really don't think the Orioles make money.  If you want to characterize the whole board as sheep while you are the only one who has attained enlightenment to make yourself feel smarter, be my guest my friend.

• Upvote 2

He is the kind of owner who makes you not want to be a fan of the team any longer. I’ve been a fan of the Os since I was a little kid (having to put up with Peter and his antics) but John’s perspective makes me think twice about vesting any more time and emotion into the team.

We sit here this year having maybe the best turnaround in MLB history enduring 6 years of being the laughing stock of the league. I can kind of accept that we didn’t go out and get any higher priced players before the trade deadline and deciding to keep our farm system in place. Maybe we stay competitive for the next 5 years but then we see all of our core players (who by the way play hard and just seem like great guys) never being offered any type of long term contract and forcing them to leave and sign somewhere else. 

By the way how do you think the players and coaches feel about this interview?  

I'm not going to buy one word of this clown crying poor when he's been a rich kid for most of his life. And as @Aglets pointed out the Orioles had a $150M payroll not so long ago that was largely spent on players past their prime or who were overpaid.

The Orioles are going to have a young core of players in their prime and Angelos is already signaling don't get used to it before Gunnar's rookie season is concluded.

rzq3aj.gif

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, glenn__davis said:

I do not think it is a blip on their radar.  The fact is the fans care much more about this sort of thing than the players do.  Same as the Kevin Brown thing.  

This is basically it. The talent knows it's going to be paid somewhere in the future and what the owner says means nothing to them. They know how baseball works. 

Even if he really felt that way and he really does,  no decent person would say so at this time for celebrating.  How do I think the players feel about such a poor excuse for a human being?  GET ME OUT OF HERE.    I hope he takes his money with him when he goes, because he schemed hard enough for it.  

John really knows how to mess up a good thing. How to mess up an off day while in first place. Fact - we are currently stuck with ownership that opens mouth and pisses us off. Fact - There is damn little we can do except take our money and fanship and move on or embark on endless complaints. The Orioles are where they are because of John and in spite of John. Elias & Co. for as long as they last and are left to build  are to his credit. The negative PR he creates as he runs MASN or opens his mouth, negatively affects what Elias & Co. has done and gets our ire flowing.

My big worry is how long before the baseball people say enough and move on. Till then, I am going to enjoy the ride and try my best to forget what may or may not be in the future. BECAUSE I CAN"T DO A DAMN THING ABOUT IT!

4 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I do not think it is a blip on their radar.  The fact is the fans care much more about this sort of thing than the players do.  Same as the Kevin Brown thing.  

I disagree. The number one reason an employee quits and finds a new job is because of their manager. Maybe there is no affect this year but next offseason and beyond, maybe a player starts to question the direction of the team and it affects them mentally. 

5 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I suspect you're right. Players can always sign on with a different team and get the hell out of Dodge. As a diehard fan, I don't have that luxury to just start following a different club. Sometimes I wish I could, but I can't.

This will be yet another day where I wonder what the last 30 years would have looked like if Bill DeWitt Jr.'s group secured the winning bid on buying the Orioles instead of Peter Angelos.

Be happy they said in 1993 we have local ownership finally. We won't have an outsider running the Orioles who only cares about making $$$ over putting out a quality product on the field.

I think he thinks he's trying to leverage enthusiasm for the on field success with the state.

As a fan, its helpful to compartmentalize the game and the business of the game as best one can.     As if as a citizen I need hokum like the Save America's Pastime act when MLB as an entertainment industry already enjoys privileges contrary to free market principles.

As ever the morbid question, its in the range of outcomes Peter departs before anyone important's FA is earned, and then we'll see how things shake out.

I'd still guess 1 has an edge on 0 for how many of Adley-Gunnar-Grayson-Holliday sell FA seasons to BAL?      Gunnar and Holliday's youth and upside make Elias being very choosy even with Adley understandable if he knows approximately today the 5-10 year parameters.

23 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

Posts like this are why the Angelos family knows they can just rape and pillage the team til the end of time. Nothing they can do about the state of baseball! Yeah that's it. Is what it is! It's just the "inequities" of baseball rearing their ugly head again! 

It's amazing how SAN DIEGO can do it, but Baltimore can't! Remind me again about that huge San Diego market? You people are so far gone. Just like the franchise. 

Why don't we look at the impact baseball ops actually has on the health of an organization? San Diego, New York Mets, New York Yankees... tons of payroll, not a ton of success. The Mets started the season with Max Scherzer and Justin Verlander in their rotation. How'd that workout? 

Sometimes I think people would rather have the San Diego Padres as their rooting interest because they spend a lot of money.

I'm no Angelos apologist. I'm a winning apologist... .and obviously, you can stack the deck when you're spending $300MM in payroll YOY. Yes, there are certain guys they should be serious about extending and I hope they do so very early on in their careers. 

I *do* believe that there is a difference in ownership structure, ownership slipperyness, and operating incomes amongst different markets. RSN's like YES & NESN are likely going to cost more to advertise on because you're reaching 8 times as many people.

It doesn't mean the Orioles can't compete (as we're seeing right now.)

I would much prefer an ownership group more interested in winning than making money every year. But I don't think that's necessarily a binary choice - if you're good, you're gonna draw. And you don't necessarily have to spend $300MM on payroll to be good (as we see now.)

It's been a long time since the Orioles were good for a protracted period of time, so it will be extremely telling how they approach extensions & arbitration. 

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Aside from an apparent ally in the Governor's mansion.

Is the governor going to wave a magic wand and make dozens of available acres of land appear around Camden Yards? Is the governor going to somehow make a suburban stadium location happen? The Orioles don’t have the kind of leverage or options that the Braves had. I think the best negotiating leverage the Orioles have is the outstanding play of the team. A World Series parade would put the orioles in a much better position than a whining son of the owner. But in the end this is all noise IMO. the Orioles will sign a lease although it may not be for as long as the state wants and the Orioles will get some sweet heart stuff in the deal. But I think there’s a lot of treading water until Peter passes and the Orioles are sold.