Sunday, August 27: Orioles go for sweep of Rockies

SteveA

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This is honest question. How long have you've been watching baseball. You do know that even the worse teams typically win 60 games in a season.

That might be an honest question, but it’s a pretty condescending one. 

It is possible to understand that even bad teams win games and still be disappointed when they do it against your favorite team. 

(almost 40 years 🙄)

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I know exactly why he did it, he just didn't need to especially in that situation. It's all about risk/reward. It's the top of the 9th, if he's on first ok, that stinks, but it's significantly worse with a runner on 2nd and no outs. No time for high risk spins moves. I didn't see how close the second baseman was but he also could have flipped it to him. It just ended up a real poor throw by Gunnar is a key situation. 

Then again, we've seen Mateo choke multiple times late in games on routine throws so it is what it kinda is. 

I think I might be confused.  Are you saying he should have just eaten it vs trying to make a throw?

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Better to play flat against the Rockies and win 2 out of 3 than playing flat against a good team and lose a series or get swept.

Even the best baseball teams generally only win 6 out of every 10 games. 

Indeed.  It's a long season and you'll have games like this.  We still got 2/3 despite not playing to our level.  Move on to the White Sox.

57 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I think I might be confused.  Are you saying he should have just eaten it vs trying to make a throw?

No, I think he had plenty of time to turn his body, plant his foot and make an easier throw. Even if he was a little late, that's better than the spin throw because of the risk of throwing it away like he did. 

57 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

No, I think he had plenty of time to turn his body, plant his foot and make an easier throw. Even if he was a little late, that's better than the spin throw because of the risk of throwing it away like he did. 

I think you have to spin there.  Here is Ripken doing it repeatedly. 

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxLKOGA-MN6L_VzQr05NdoU9pjH3wy2tYO?si=8xgOM1bwiRHkeT3z

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

When Gunnar is Cal Ripken at SS he can do that in the 9th inning of a tie game. Until then he should have turned his body and made an easier throw.

Cal wasn’t spinning just to spin.  He didn’t do anything just for show.  There was always a purpose.  When the ball is tailing away on you like it was Gunnar here, you have to spin to arrest your momentum.  He still made a bad throw, but it wasn’t because he was trying to make a play fancier than it needed to be.