Roy Firestone's Brooks' tributes

Roy Firestone

4 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

He was the greatest human being I ever knew in sports.

And he was my very close friend for 53 years.

Brooks Robinson just died.

I'm devastated.

Baseball lost, not just the greatest defensive third baseman of all time...it lost one of the greatest men in the game. A man who served the game not just with his stellar play...but in the way he carried himself.

I'm going to share many stories about my friend who I first met when I was 15 years old, as the batboy for the Orioles in Miami.

But first, I'd like to include a clip, of me in perhaps the greatest single honor I ever had in my public life...Brooks asked ME to dedicate his statue at Oriole Park. This clip, remains very, very special to me.

It was a public moment in stating my love and admiration for my childhood hero.

This moment happened almost exactly 11 years ago....to the day.

I'm terribly sad right now...but I got to say, in public what I felt about the greatest human being I ever met in sports...and probably anywhere else in life...too.

https://youtu.be/Pz9iiXNRado

For what it's worth Roy - other than my father - you're the one that taught me about Brooks Robinson.  I was not part of that generation of fans, and I've never had the privilege of meeting Brooks, so I have to rely on others.  A lot of us are in that boat.  So, thank you.

• Upvote 3

my dad took me to my first O's game in 1964. He won the MVP that year. I talk to an old man who saw Wee willie Keeler play. I was just 9 years old and already was proud to be from Maryland and an O's fan. I saw over 10 hall of fame players. Brooks was my all-time favorite. He just didn't play for the O's. He was the O's. this is his team and always will be. it's only fitting our team is winning the year brooks left us. R.I.P.

• Upvote 1

I’ve been dreading this day for a while, because the handwriting was kind of on the wall.  If you haven’t read it, pick up a copy of Brooks Robinson’s biography by Doug Wilson.  It’s not the most scintillating read, since there was never the slightest whiff of scandal or serious conflict in Brooks’ life.  But you’ll learn a lot about the player and the man by reading it.  What a wonderful human being.   

• Upvote 4

Brooks wasn't just a great player, he was a total class act.

First off all I'm old. lol ...

Back in the mid 1960's as a kid my dad took me to a local appliance store because Brooks Robinson and three other Orioles (including Boog Powell) were going to be there to sign autographs. There was a long line of people there when we got to the store. After about what seemed like 2 hours, we were getting near the front of the line. And then Boog and two players decided it was time to take a lunch break. I was pretty upset to be honest. 

So Boog and his buddies left. But not Brooks. He stuck around to chat with me and my dad and signed the baseball I brought in. I'll never forget that act of kindness. What a nice, classy guy. 

Brook was and will always be my favorite Oriole. We lost a great man.

• Upvote 2

Every Orioles fan should read this, especially those that are younger.  1969 was the first year I was old enough to remember an O's WS.  We emulated every Oriole in different ways, including a friend who wasn't the best hitter - he was Mark Belanger.  I tried Palmer's leg kick (an experiment that didn't last too long - bit longer than Luis Tiant's wind-up :)Cueller's screwball (albeit right handed). But, who didn't want to play like Brooks.  We used to play a "ground ball" game that was continuous infield for hours - that was fun for us.

Roy, I was anticipating your tribute as it always provides the human aspect and what a great man/person Brooks is.  Getting older is what it is. Some will say 86 is "ok". But, some small part of his legacy is in the pure joy he brought to young kids who wanted to play ball his way.

• Upvote 1

Brooks is my childhood hero. Had the great honor to meet him twice. The second time at a restaurant at the inner harbor. This was in the late 90's. He walked in, I didn't want to bother him, but had to just tell him he was my hero and thank him. My friend and I were sitting at the bar watching the NBA playoffs. After Brooks sat down with his guests and ordered, he came over and sat with us and watched the game. He sat with us for about 10 minutes just talking about basketball and the playoff game we were watching. What a great guy. Happy I was able to watch him play, and happy I had the chance to meet him!

• Upvote 1

My Dad knew Brooks and echoes everything that has been said about how great of a man he was. One thing that I thought was cool was that Dad said he saw Brooks actually thank people for asking for his autograph. I think that sums him up pretty well... such class and grace and humility. Dad joked that Brooks didn't do a very good job of maintaining the value of his autograph because he flooded the market. :)

I got a ball signed by a few Orioles from my Grandpa... and it says "Bob Williams, Best Wishes, Brooks Robinson." He didn't know my Grandpa at all, he just apparently took the time to find out his name, remembered both his first and last name, then proceeded to take the time to write it all out... I mean, think about what you would do if people asked for your autograph all the time. Would you find out their full name and write an inscription? Who does that? Brooks Robinson did.

• Upvote 1

Brooks' life is a testimony of what they human spirit can be.  Full of grace, poise, life, joy, humility...  Ambition, competitiveness, pride in yourself without the attitude...  His life was a light in the darkness.  

When signing autographs he would introduce himself "Hi, I'm Brooks.  What's your name?"

When bumping shoulders with people in the local grocery store or Panera's he'd pose for picture.

When he spoke, Jim Palmer listened.

It's been said many, many times, but no one has ever had a bad thing to say about Brooks.  He was always gracious.  And what makes that so unique is just how often he interacted with others as a regular guy.  Today's stars with today's technology and today's wages really set them apart.  They can pace/measure their interaction with the public.  Brooks didn't have that shield.  He could have been anybody's neighbor.  I'm sure he was grumpy some days, but he counted his blessings when speaking with others to the point that countless people in the Baltimore area have said "I've never heard a bad thing said about Brooks."  May his example in life be something we strive after and not just admire from the stands.  

@Roy Firestone - I'm sorry for your loss.  Know that the city mourns with you.