Roy Firestone's Brooks' tributes

Roy Firestone

After his family and teammates, you were the first one to come to mind when I heard the news.  I expect Jim Palmer is broken up.  Boog also, he'll be at the Yard this weekend.  Very sorry.

When you made that speech I was standing less than 10 yards away along with my son, and Mike Williams and his dad.

Edited by TonySoprano
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

He was the greatest human being I ever knew in sports.

And he was my very close friend for 53 years.

Brooks Robinson just died.

I'm devastated.

Baseball lost, not just the greatest defensive third baseman of all time...it lost one of the greatest men in the game. A man who served the game not just with his stellar play...but in the way he carried himself.

I'm going to share many stories about my friend who I first met when I was 15 years old, as the batboy for the Orioles in Miami.

But first, I'd like to include a clip, of me in perhaps the greatest single honor I ever had in my public life...Brooks asked ME to dedicate his statue at Oriole Park. This clip, remains very, very special to me.

It was a public moment in stating my love and admiration for my childhood hero.

This moment happened almost exactly 11 years ago....to the day.

I'm terribly sad right now...but I got to say, in public what I felt about the greatest human being I ever met in sports...and probably anywhere else in life...too.

https://youtu.be/Pz9iiXNRado

Terrible news. Sorry Roy for your loss. Brooks played before my time but I met him when I was nine years old when he was broadcasting. He was generous enough to sign a ball for me. One of those early experiences that helped me fall in love with the game and become a lifelong O's fan. Thanks, Brooks.

• Upvote 2

Terrible news. Sorry Roy for your loss. Brooks played before my time but I met him when I was nine years old when he was broadcasting. He was generous enough to sign a ball for me. One of those early experiences that helped me fall in love with the game and become a lifelong O's fan. Thanks, Brooks.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

He was the greatest human being I ever knew in sports.

And he was my very close friend for 53 years.

Brooks Robinson just died.

I'm devastated.

Baseball lost, not just the greatest defensive third baseman of all time...it lost one of the greatest men in the game. A man who served the game not just with his stellar play...but in the way he carried himself.

I'm going to share many stories about my friend who I first met when I was 15 years old, as the batboy for the Orioles in Miami.

But first, I'd like to include a clip, of me in perhaps the greatest single honor I ever had in my public life...Brooks asked ME to dedicate his statue at Oriole Park. This clip, remains very, very special to me.

It was a public moment in stating my love and admiration for my childhood hero.

This moment happened almost exactly 11 years ago....to the day.

I'm terribly sad right now...but I got to say, in public what I felt about the greatest human being I ever met in sports...and probably anywhere else in life...too.

https://youtu.be/Pz9iiXNRado

Amazing video @Roy Firestone. Thank you for sharing.