Lopez DFA, Zimmerman recalled

Hank Scorpio

48 minutes ago, tom_o'malley said:

Makes perfect sense. No one else will claim him and they can bring him to spring training on a min deal and see what they can do with him. JL’s best interest is also to stay in Baltimore based on his past success.  And now the orioles need a closer.  Perfect situation for both. 

Why does picking him up this year (only to DFA) help them bring him to spring training next year? They could have done that regardless.

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Why does picking him up this year (only to DFA) help them bring him to spring training next year? They could have done that regardless.

It doesn’t.  But DFAing him now makes perfect sense. Keeping him thru tomorrow would only result in a non tender. So making this move now makes perfect sense. If they hadn’t picked him up last month, I suspect (esp due to Felix) he’d be a non roster invitee   

Edited by tom_o'malley

12 minutes ago, tom_o'malley said:

It doesn’t.  But DFAing him now makes perfect sense. Keeping him thru tomorrow would only result in a non tender. So making this move now makes perfect sense. If they hadn’t picked him up last month, I suspect (esp due to Felix) he’d be a non roster invitee   

Is anyone questioning DFAing him now? 

20 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Oh wow. Just looked at his page on Spotrac. I didn't realize how much he made this season. Thought we might be able to keep him around for $1.5 mil

Which is why it made so little sense for us to sign him. If it was just to eat innings, anyone could have done that. Really strange but if that's Elias's worst mistake I can't really complain. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Which is why it made so little sense for us to sign him. If it was just to eat innings, anyone could have done that. Really strange but if that's Elias's worst mistake I can't really complain. 

I guess they thought we might have the secret sauce and he would be effective for us.

I think this is a nothing burger. I don't think they would have tendered a contract, that would have been complete lunacy. You never know about these things because it only takes one crazy team but, I have to think he has less than a 5% chance of getting a major league deal. Maybe a split deal or a minor league deal with an opt out? 

• Upvote 3