O's 2024 Payroll using MLBTR and Cots

wildcard

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Right, but I would say an outfielder with around 6+ errors is usually a sign of a bad outfielder.

Maybe the way games are scored now.  Have you ever looked at Roberto Clemente’s errors totals?   He’s one of the best I ever saw, yet had 10+ errors multiple times.  

Just now, Frobby said:

Maybe the way games are scored now.  Have you ever looked at Roberto Clemente’s errors totals?   He’s one of the best I ever saw, yet had 10+ errors multiple times.  

I take back what I said.  Guys with great arms tend to get errors on throws that bounce past the C or 3B and let a runner advance.  

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Right.  You think the .853 OPS is the healthy Hays and the career .751 OPS is because he plays hurt and it hurts his OPS.   I think the .769 OPS is pretty close to the Hays we can expect going forward no matter how judiciously he’s used.

Over the past two years Hays has been better in the first half than in the 2nd half.  In 2022 he reached an 834 OPS on June 27th before he started his OPS fall.  This year it was an 853 OPS in the 1st half before a fall in OPS.

I watch him play and I cringe when he gets hit by a pitch or runs into a wall or dives or crush his finger bunting.   I just think that with Cowser/Hicks/Norby or whoever available next year Hays would be more productive for the team if he went on the IL when hurt rather than playing at a below 700 OPS level.

For me when Hays is healthy he plays like an All-Star which is what the O's need to win a WS.