Which type of high-profile move would make you happier?

Frobby

Which type of high-profile move would make you happier  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which typo of high-profile move would make you happier?

• Signing a very good free agent to a long term deal
    • Signing one of the Orioles’ young stars to a multi-year extension

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/20/23 at 21:02

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

We cans provide security, sure…but that doesn’t mean we have leverage. Players either want to or don’t want to sign these deals and delay their free agency. 

They have all the leverage here.

Use whatever word you want.  The team is in a better bargaining position with players who are under their sole control for several years than they are with a player who has the right to choose now between 30 different teams.  Plus, if you are talking about a very good free agent, chances are good that they’ve already made $20 mm+ by the time they are free agents, so they don’t have the same financial security issues that the younger guys do.  And, in an extension, the team is usually (not always) able to limit their exposure  to “downside years” where the player will be past his prime.  All that said, there’s a good degree of risk any way you do a long-term contract. 

I'm surprised by the strong skew of the results. 

Both of these would be great. Signing a "very good" free agent would be more exciting to me, because it would make the team better in a window where we already know the team is going to be good.

Signing one of our young guys to an extension, that'd be a great, but it doesn't change the makeup of the team until ~five years later, at which time the outlook is fuzzier. Plus we have more time to make it happen, plus we have several great options to ultimately choose one or more from for such an extension. 

I think there's more of a chance the Orioles trade for an established veteran star player over signing one in free agency. The Orioles already have a roster crunch to deal with between their established talent and prospects who are ready to graduate the minor leagues.

One way to solve that while filling in holes in the pitching staff is to make a trade or two.

Yeah, I voted quickly - kind of knee-jerky...  Don't know I'd change my mind, but I think you try to extend Adley first.  It can't turn into a stupid Lamar Jackson situation, tho.  I think you do that because it displays a top down confidence in the organization.  But this might not be the year, especially if you can acquire a couple lower tier one or solid tier two FA's that help THIS team until the farm development can roll out our own.  After stop gap FA's, tho, I think you invest in your own studs.  There's almost certainly going to be a Carlos Correa situation somewhere down the line, tho. 

Maybe it's old-fashioned but there is nothing better than having home-grown talent that sticks with the team and community. 

A Free Agent is more important if I knew that there was at least an effort to sign one of our young stars with a fair offer - team-friendly but fair. It's the "can't do" attitude that drives me crazy.