"Beliefs Bigger than Baseball"

glenn__davis

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

As someone who was raised Christian and is sprinting towards agnosticism, I really don't care.  To SG's point, glad to see they're tight knit.  I don't care if they bond over the Bible or trips to Hooters.

As far as wondering about the demographics of the players interviewed, that's an eye roll.

Exactly. Bonding is bonding. How they do it is pretty irrelevant to me provided that what they are doing is legal.

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well, all things considered equal, I'd rather they bonded over the Bible than Strip Clubs.

I mean that’s fine. Less of a chance of trouble bonding over the Bible. But I don’t care if they go get dry humped by a bunch of strippers either. To each their own.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ok.  All of the players mentioned in the article are white Christians.  I guess I’d like the story more if the tight knit group seemed a little more diverse.   That’s just me.  

Seems natural that players with similar beliefs would group together. I wouldn't expect the Catholics to be part of it any more than Kremer. As long as the different groups are respecting each other I don't see any problem. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Seems natural that players with similar beliefs would group together. I wouldn't expect the Catholics to be part of it any more than Kremer. As long as the different groups are respecting each other I don't see any problem. 

Catholics are Christians.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Exactly right. No reason to try to push some bs narrative. Just too many unknown things. 

All we should be drawing from this article is that it shows another way this team is tight knit.

No reason to make it anymore than that.

This is really the key for me here as well. Things that bond a team together outside of baseball, whether that be religion, video games, and other interests is a good thing. 

I'm not longer in the clubhouse, but from every report these guys have bonded well and it's clear that Elias puts a heavy emphasis on guys being "good club house guys and great teammates."

51 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Catholics are Christians.

Not everyone agrees with that statement, though it's commonly stated.  But should leave it at that so this thread doesn't derail.  Either way this 'group' was certainly 'American' and the language barrier could be as much of a reason why there weren't any Hispanics mentioned, more so than Catholicism versus Christian.  In the end, whatever reasons they are bonding together is a good thing, and I hope those bonds keep the team solid and together when adversity happens.  

10 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Not everyone agrees with that statement, though it's commonly stated.  But should leave it at that so this thread doesn't derail.  Either way this 'group' was certainly 'American' and the language barrier could be as much of a reason why there weren't any Hispanics mentioned, more so than Catholicism versus Christian.  In the end, whatever reasons they are bonding together is a good thing, and I hope those bonds keep the team solid and together when adversity happens.  

Well, Catholics consider themselves Christians.   There may be some “Christians” who don’t consider Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, and other religions to be Christians but that’s a whole other story I guess.   

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Well, Catholics consider themselves Christians.   There may be some “Christians” who don’t consider Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, and other religions to be Christians but that’s a whole other story I guess.   

Perhaps this is a good place to end.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I've actually encountered both Catholics who don't consider themselves Christians and Christians who don't consider Catholics Christians also.  Point simply being that blanket statements such as 'Catholics are Christians' or 'Catholics consider themselves Christians' isn't always that cut and dry.  Once dated a girl outside of Cleveland Ohio whose family was practicing Catholics, and her Dad was VERY adamant that they weren't Christians.  Was some fun and interesting discussions.  🙂  

8 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

I've actually encountered both Catholics who don't consider themselves Christians and Christians who don't consider Catholics Christians also.  Point simply being that blanket statements such as 'Catholics are Christians' or 'Catholics consider themselves Christians' isn't always that cut and dry.  Once dated a girl outside of Cleveland Ohio whose family was practicing Catholics, and her Dad was VERY adamant that they weren't Christians.  Was some fun and interesting discussions.  🙂  

I’ll go with Wikipedia.

Christianity can be taxonomically divided into six main groups: the Church of the East, Oriental Orthodoxy, Eastern Orthodoxy, Roman Catholicism, Protestantism, and Restorationism. Protestantism includes many groups which do not share any ecclesiastical governance and have widely diverging beliefs and practices.

Just curious.  What would make a Catholic not a Christian?  

Edited by RZNJ