"Beliefs Bigger than Baseball"

glenn__davis

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I’ll go with Wikipedia.

Christianity can be taxonomically divided into six main groups: the Church of the East, Oriental Orthodoxy, Eastern Orthodoxy, Roman Catholicism, Protestantism, and Restorationism. Protestantism includes many groups which do not share any ecclesiastical governance and have widely diverging beliefs and practices.

Just curious.  What would make a Catholic not a Christian?  

I'm not a Catholic, so I can't speak for them of course.  Or am I someone who claims that all Catholics are not Christians, either.  That said my ex's Dad claimed he was a Catholic and not a Christian because, in his words, he followed the teachings of the Catholic church and the Pope moreso than he did the teaching of Christ.  

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

It’s generally accepted despite what your gf’s father and Catholic and authentic Christians acquaintances say.  Lol

Many things are 'generally accepted' that aren't exactly true.  But I think we've exhausted the possibilities of this discussion here on the OH.  If you want to discuss in more detail, feel free to PM me.  Otherwise let's return to arguing about the Orioles and not over who is what religion, ok?

19 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

I've actually encountered both Catholics who don't consider themselves Christians and Christians who don't consider Catholics Christians also.  Point simply being that blanket statements such as 'Catholics are Christians' or 'Catholics consider themselves Christians' isn't always that cut and dry.  Once dated a girl outside of Cleveland Ohio whose family was practicing Catholics, and her Dad was VERY adamant that they weren't Christians.  Was some fun and interesting discussions.  🙂  

That’s just ignorant. Of course Catholics are Christian. Do you think that’s Muhammad or somebody else on the crucifixes hanging in Catholic Churches? People can have all the ill informed opinions they want on religion, but Catholics are Christian is a fact. Basically all of the Protestant Christian sects are directly derived from Catholicism. I mean come on. 

3 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Many things are 'generally accepted' that aren't exactly true.  But I think we've exhausted the possibilities of this discussion here on the OH.  If you want to discuss in more detail, feel free to PM me.  Otherwise let's return to arguing about the Orioles and not over who is what religion, ok?

Martin Luther couldn’t hit a curveball I have heard. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Catholics are Christians.

The differences between Catholicism and Protestantism (which seems to be the main faith described in the article) are significant enough that I not would expect it to be a point of unity.  The more important thing is that it is not a point of disunity, which it doesn't seem to have been.

For the record, I agree with you, it would have been nice to see more diverse representation in the article, but I don't think there's any exclusion going on.

Just now, forphase1 said:

I'm not a Catholic, so I can't speak for them of course.  Or am I someone who claims that all Catholics are not Christians, either.  That said my ex's Dad claimed he was a Catholic and not a Christian because, in his words, he followed the teachings of the Catholic church and the Pope moreso than he did the teaching of Christ.  

I guess I’m naive.  I thought the Catholic Church was formed and based on the teachings of Jesus Christ.  Anyway this is a good place to end.  

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

True, but he threw one of the best curveballs of all time.

That Henry VIII guy had a nasty changeup too … Little known fact that he was known as the 8th cause he was a deep into the game , 8th inning starter .. almost always 

Edited by tntoriole
  • Haha 1

We're all outsiders looking in.  But as an outsider, I see Adley still hugging Bautista just like he does those in the Bible study like Coulombe. Hays gets just as hyped for Santander as he does for Gunnar. If Wells didn't cover 1B on a grounder to that side, I bet Gibson would get on Wells' case just as fast as he would Kremer.

• Upvote 1