Adley, Hays, Mountcastle finalists for Gold Gloves

Mooreisbetter27

On 10/18/2023 at 5:20 PM, Frobby said:

Catcher… My guess: Heim.  

1B…My guess is Lowe, who was on the field a lot more than either Mountcastle or Rizzo.

LF…My guess is the award goes to Kwan, who won last year.

Correct on all three counts. 

Edited by Frobby

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I figured Heim would. I really believe Hays is most deserving, so I hope he gets it.

In what way is Hays deserving?

No disrespect to him but the other 2 candidates were clearly superior.  (Going by the stats that Frobby posted on 10/18.)

Edited by ArtVanDelay

16 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

In what way is Hays deserving?

No disrespect to him but the other 2 candidates were clearly superior.  (Going by the stats that Frobby posted on 10/18.)

I watched a minimum of 155 Orioles games this season.  Hays in Left Field was absolutely outstanding overall, and several wins were a direct result of the impact of his play in Left Field. I don't recall any errors. But I do remember there being plenty of web gem highlights to go around to save his pitchers. 

The Orioles have alot of fly ball pitchers and a cavern for a left field wall. They had success with that because of Austin Hays anchoring the outfield even during all that time while Mullins and Hick experienced time on the Injured List. 

Hays was as reliable as anyone in Left Field.

22 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I watched a minimum of 155 Orioles games this season.  Hays in Left Field was absolutely outstanding overall, and several wins were a direct result of the impact of his play in Left Field. I don't recall any errors. But I do remember there being plenty of web gem highlights to go around to save his pitchers. 

The Orioles have alot of fly ball pitchers and a cavern for a left field wall. They had success with that because of Austin Hays anchoring the outfield even during all that time while Mullins and Hick experienced time on the Injured List. 

Hays was as reliable as anyone in Left Field.

How much Steven Kwan did you watch this year?

12 hours ago, 24fps said:

It's sad to say, but ever since Palmeiro's ridiculous GG award a couple of decades ago, I place roughly the same value on losing out on a GG as I do on a spring training error.

Like all awards, the voting and logic behind them has gotten better.   None of the Os players deserved to win over the guys who did win. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Like all awards, the voting and logic behind them has gotten better.   None of the Os players deserved to win over the guys who did win. 

I'm not upset that no Oriole won nor am I suggesting that the winners didn't deserve the award.  Rawlings has a short web page listing the selection criteria and it now shows that SABR Defensive Index is included along with the traditional subjective votes from managers and coaches.  At the bottom of the page is the following:  Rawlings Gold Glove Awards are calculated based on a combination of managers/coaches and SABR.

Fine, but in the interest of full disclosure, I believe how each component is weighted ought to also be defined and it isn't.  Perhaps I'm too suspicious but the process remains a little too fuzzy and open to being questioned for my taste.

https://www.rawlings.com/gold-glove-criteria.html

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Agreed. I don't particularly think any of our candidates really deserved to be in the conversation. Adley took a step back defensively, Hays catches what he gets to and gives a lot of effort but is otherwise only average defensively, and Mountcastle is fine but was hurt half the year. 

Edited by interloper

26 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I'm not upset that no Oriole won nor am I suggesting that the winners didn't deserve the award.  Rawlings has a short web page listing the selection criteria and it now shows that SABR Defensive Index is included along with the traditional subjective votes from managers and coaches.  At the bottom of the page is the following:  Rawlings Gold Glove Awards are calculated based on a combination of managers/coaches and SABR.

Fine, but in the interest of full disclosure, I believe how each component is weighted ought to also be defined and it isn't.  Perhaps I'm too suspicious but the process remains a little too fuzzy and open to being questioned for my taste.

https://www.rawlings.com/gold-glove-criteria.html

I read somewhere recently that SABR is weighted at 25%.   But also, managers and coaches are far more aware of the advanced metrics than they were even ten years ago, and I suspect their votes are much better informed than they used to be.  They still managed to leave Mateo out of the top 3 in 2022, which made no sense whatsoever.   So, it ain’t perfect, though it’s better.

• Upvote 1