What would extensions for Bradish and Rodriguez look like?

Frobby

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Maybe he represents himself. This makes sense with slotting etc. the little extra money a 4th rounder might get is lost to the agent in fees anyway. You really don’t need an agent until arbitration or free agency.

I think Bradish is in line for a pre-arbitration bonus if he finishes top 5 in Cy Young voting.  It's 1.5M if he finishes third if I'm reading this correctly.

• Upvote 1

I’d offer Grayson a deal to buy out a couple of years of free agency, because his stuff is so dominant. I don’t see the same stuff from Bradish. He’s obviously very good, and effective. But, we’ve got him for 5 more years. I don’t see much reason to take the risk with him. 

5 hours ago, tntoriole said:

You are a superstar, sir!! Thanks, my memory is not so hot anymore lol 

His was right on the brink of free agency ..the game has changed since then in timing and acceptance of offers 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1997/05/04/mussina-orioles-agree-on-extension/0319bf86-653a-4098-8428-19ca2b994267/

That was the contract where Mussina caught heat from the player’s union for signing a below market dollar amount. 

https://archive.ph/wVIml

Mussina signed a three-year, $20.45 million deal on May 3, 1997, five weeks into the Orioles' wire-to-wire AL East championship run. Mussina and Angelos reached the deal only after Mussina overruled Tellem's advice to press for a higher average annual value.

What players association head Don Fehr described as a "garden-variety" contract was lampooned by other agents and players, including Atlanta pitcher Tom Glavine.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

That was the contract where Mussina caught heat from the player’s union for signing a below market dollar amount. 

Mussina signed a three-year, $20.45 million deal on May 3, 1997, five weeks into the Orioles' wire-to-wire AL East championship run. Mussina and Angelos reached the deal only after Mussina overruled Tellem's advice to press for a higher average annual value.

What players association head Don Fehr described as a "garden-variety" contract was lampooned by other agents and players, including Atlanta pitcher Tom Glavine.

Angelos should have given Moose twice the money for 6 years.  Still would have been 1/2 Chris Davis lol . 

On 10/21/2023 at 6:52 AM, wildcard said:

So Bautista is pitching great.  One pitch and he is out of a year and there is no way to know if he will be as good again.   5 year or longer extensions for  pitchers sounds risky. 

Thank you, Mr. Angelos. Yes, I think we all agree the length and amount of contract Mussina is looking for is crazy and we should pass.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

In the grand scheme of things I don't think it would have gotten any of those teams into the playoffs.

Team would have been more fun to watch.

There is something to be said for having a decent chance to win every fifth day.  Erik Bedard single-handedly kept me sane in 2007.   

16 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

To today's ear, that archive story had loads of content star players talking about other players, their motivations, and even other guy's contracts.    I will guess Adley won't be as forthcoming on the eve of 2027 spring training.

34 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I worry about GRod’s health long term. Seems like all these guys throwing this hard are getting TJ surgery. 

I wonder if anyone has studied whether there’s been a correlation between TJ surgery and velocity at the major lesgue level in, say, the last decade or so.   

Edit: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/gabe-lacques/2023/08/31/tommy-john-surgery-mlb-hardest-throwers-shohei-ohtani/70721548007/#

Edited by Frobby