Joey Ortiz for 3B?

RZNJ

12 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I certainly hope you are right, but there's a pretty long list of players that had a lot of success at AAA, but were failures as MLB players.  It isn't all that hard to believe, IMO.  Hence the term 4A player.  It's hard to know ahead of time which guys can successfully make the step to the majors and which guys can't.  We can hope that the Orioles' baseball people are right more than they are wrong in deciding who to keep and who to trade.  I know that I have a tendency to like the guys we have a bit too much, and hate trading them.  I think that most fans do.  Fortunately, they don't pay me to make these decisions.  🙂

Joey Ortiz has hit .320 with a 900 OPS in over 100 AAA games.  I suppose he could be a total bust but it’s hard to see that not translating to a .700+ OPS in the majors.  Combined with his defense that would make him a decent ML player. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Joey Ortiz has hit .320 with a 900 OPS in over 100 AAA games.  I suppose he could be a total bust but it’s hard to see that not translating to a .700+ OPS in the majors.  Combined with his defense that would make him a decent ML player. 

I like Ortiz.  In fact, as I said, I like all of our guys.  I'm just saying that I don't really know if Joey, or any other guys, are going to become good MLB players.  I have to trust that Elias and his guys can make those hard choices and be right more than they are wrong.  So far, they've done pretty well, IMO.  These calls just aren't all that obvious for me.

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

I like Ortiz.  In fact, as I said, I like all of our guys.  I'm just saying that I don't really know if Joey, or any other guys, are going to become good MLB players.  I have to trust that Elias and his guys can make those hard choices and be right more than they are wrong.  So far, they've done pretty well, IMO.  These calls just aren't all that obvious for me.

Well said.  I agree.