What do you think Elias sees happening with Wells, Hall, McDermott, Johnson and Povich?

wildcard

I sure Elias is mapping out what he sees happening with his starters over the next two years.  Weighing development vs acquisition.

He has GRod, Bradish, Means and Kremer.  He may be thinking about whether to extend Means.    Hall and Johnson are 1st rounders who may not be MLB starters in 2024 but  could be starters in 2025.   McDermott and Povich are at AAA and progressing.   Wells has proven he can start 15-20 starts with an ERA under 4.00.  They are probably looking at how to improve his stamina.

Adding a starter in 2024 may be the safest way to improve.  But with this group of starters coming, to what number of years  do you think Elias feels he needs to sign that starter?   So far he signed one year contracts for Lyles and  Gibson.   I agree any starter he adds needs to be better.

Edited by wildcard

• wildcard changed the title to What do you think Elias see happening with Wells, Hall, McDermott, Johnson and Povich?

Wells and Hall are bullpen pieces in my mind going forward. Both should be legitimate options for closer. 

I see McDermott, Johnson, and Povich as deep depth, but in no way should they be depended on for anything in 2024. That can be reevaluated after the 2024 season if space should be made for any of them. That’s also assuming that they have the opportunity to spend some time in Baltimore and we can see how they do. I fully expect a cup of tea for each of them.

Adding at least one starter is absolutely necessary. Trade or free agency, doesn’t matter. Personally, I think two starters are necessary. Kremer should be the 6th starter when needed. They don’t need to go crazy or anything. I’d love to see Montgomery signed and a trade for Logan Gilbert to round out the rotation, but I understand that both are out of reach for the risk averse cheap O’s. So instead maybe something like a trade for Bieber and a Frankie Montas signing. 

Edited by oriole

My best guess.   Wells and Hall wind up in the bullpen.   Johnson to AA.  Povich and McDermott to Norfolks rotation.

Means is not extended before becoming a FA.

Orioles trade for a starter with more than 1 year of service time OR resign Gibson to a 1 or 2 year contract (don’t shoot the messenger!)

14 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

How many IP do you expect for Means? My over/under is 100. Not being able to go in the playoffs causes me to wonder whether penciling him into the rotation is wise. I think they need Wells to step up into the rotation next year. They are going to need a full year from him, IMHO.

My guess  on Means is 150 IP after watching how they used GRod this year.

24 minutes ago, oriole said:

Wells and Hall are bullpen pieces in my mind going forward. Both should be legitimate options for closer. 

I see McDermott, Johnson, and Povich as deep depth, but in no way should they be depended on for anything in 2024. That can be reevaluated after the 2024 season if space should be made for any of them. That’s also assuming that they have the opportunity to spend some time in Baltimore and we can see how they do. I fully expect a cup of tea for each of them.

Adding at least one starter is absolutely necessary. Trade or free agency, doesn’t matter. Personally, I think two starters are necessary. Kremer should be the 6th starter when needed. They don’t need to go crazy or anything. I’d love to see Montgomery signed and a trade for Logan Gilbert to round out the rotation, but I understand that both are out of reach for the risk averse cheap O’s. So instead maybe something like a trade for Bieber and a Frankie Montas signing. 

Thanks for your insight.   IMO no way Kremer is the 6th man after making 32 starts, 172 IP.

Edited by wildcard

• wildcard changed the title to What do you think Elias sees happening with Wells, Hall, McDermott, Johnson and Povich?
11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Thanks for your insight.   IMO no way Kremer is the 6th man after making 32 starts, 172 IP.

That’s the nicest way I’ve ever had someone disagree with me here on the OH. Lol

Its worth mentioning that I think an above average option for the 6th starter is important considering Means is unlikely to have a ton of innings and Rodriguez and Bradish are still very early in their careers and it’s still hard for me trust that they can be depended on. Plus, past Kremer and the drop off of SP quality is severe. You’d have to lean on rookies and that’s a bad spot to be in. 

Kremer is a good 5th starter on a good team but he’s a great 6th starter on a great team. I want them to be a great team. They’ve got the flexibility and the means to get 2 extra starters. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, oriole said:

That’s the nicest way I’ve ever had someone disagree with me here on the OH. Lol

Its worth mentioning that I think an above average option for the 6th starter is important considering Means is unlikely to have a ton of innings and Rodriguez and Bradish are still very early in their careers and it’s still hard for me trust that they can be depended on. Plus, past Kremer and the drop off of SP quality is severe. You’d have to lean on rookies and that’s a bad spot to be in. 

Kremer is a good 5th starter on a good team but he’s a great 6th starter on a great team. I want them to be a great team. They’ve got the flexibility and the means to get 2 extra starters. 

The Yankee message board is two doors down.

In terms of what does Elias “think”…he has shown and stated that believes in asset accumulation and competition.  So I don’t think he pencils any of these guys into roles or clears spots for them. And also recognizes that development may not be linear, with promotion metrics different than output metrics.  

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, oriole said:

They had to fix Irvin in the 1st half but in the 2nd half he had a 3.40 ERA.   I see him has he 6th man until McDermott is ready.   I would not be surprised if Wells got some starts before 2024 is over.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

LOL. Ok, but taking a starter like Kremer, putting him in the bullpen, and acquiring two top starters is Yankeeesque.

No way in a million years do I expect two top starters. I suggested Montgomery and Gilbert as my pipe dream acquisitions and they’re middle of the pack type of guys. I expect much less in reality. Even though, it’s very easy to see how throwing some money at a free agent when the payroll is so low and throwing prospects at a team for a controllable young starter are very achievable tasks. 

I feel like a Yankee move would be to sign Ohtani and have him take Means spot in the rotation after 2024. 

24 minutes ago, wildcard said:

They had to fix Irvin in the 1st half but in the 2nd half he had a 3.40 ERA.   I see him has he 6th man until McDermott is ready.   I would not be surprised if Wells got some starts before 2024 is over.

I’ll admit, I forgot about Irvin. He’s a good 6th starter option too.