The Padres as trade partners

Just Regular

39 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

why would they trade him? No chance IMO

That wasn't his point. He was pointing out how dismissive the prior post was to Soto being a generational talent (like Alvarez). That said, I'm not trading for Soto unless I'm prepared to sign him long term. And that certainly doesn't fit the O's front office profile. 

26 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Trading Soto would be the easiest way.

Per Sportrac

I don't really think they have a choice.  They already had to take on $50m in  debt to meet  '23 expenses, what does that say for their '24 budget?  It doesn't look like the owner is paying out of pocket as many asumed.

They were also caught up in the Diamond Broadcasting deal which adds to their financial issues, they were getting roughly $50m in RSN fees-MLB or whatever the plan for '24 will likely be a fraction of that.  I think there is a good chance uncertainty over RSN revenue for the 12 Diamond teams (Twins, Braves, Marlins, Tigers, Reds, Cardinals, Brewers, Royals, Angels, Guardians, Rangers and Rays) affects their approach in free agency.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Elias has made it pretty clear that he’s not looking for a star to add to the offense.   No point wasting time discussing Soto.   

While I agree with you re: ME, in a what if scenario if you could trade Santander for Soto that would save them $20 M while increasing our Payroll a like amount. He primarily plays 1B-DH, surpasses Santander's production, you hit him with a QO which he would decline. What's the value of the increased production in Santander's old spot, plus the value of the comp pick, plus the value of a true MOO bat for 2024?? Is that worth $20 M for 1 year while giving more opportunity for Kjerstad, Cowser to get established vs Hicks, McKenna?? I'm assuming O'Hearn is traded and Santa moves primarily to 1B-DH.

13 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

While I agree with you re: ME, in a what if scenario if you could trade Santander for Soto that would save them $20 M while increasing our Payroll a like amount. He primarily plays 1B-DH, surpasses Santander's production, you hit him with a QO which he would decline. What's the value of the increased production in Santander's old spot, plus the value of the comp pick, plus the value of a true MOO bat for 2024?? Is that worth $20 M for 1 year while giving more opportunity for Kjerstad, Cowser to get established vs Hicks, McKenna?? I'm assuming O'Hearn is traded and Santa moves primarily to 1B-DH.

The Padres aren't just going to give Soto away and three Santanders still wouldn't equal him in terms of trade value. To land him you'd have to part with some of the prospects you're talking about giving more opportunities to, which defeats the whole purpose of what you're suggesting. Yes trading an OF makes sense, but not for another OF. The few trade chips we have should be used to address our pithcing needs. 

2 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

That wasn't his point. He was pointing out how dismissive the prior post was to Soto being a generational talent (like Alvarez). That said, I'm not trading for Soto unless I'm prepared to sign him long term. And that certainly doesn't fit the O's front office profile. 

Oh …ok  I agree and we won’t be doing that.

4 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

The Padres aren't just going to give Soto away and three Santanders still wouldn't equal him in terms of trade value. To land him you'd have to part with some of the prospects you're talking about giving more opportunities to, which defeats the whole purpose of what you're suggesting. Yes trading an OF makes sense, but not for another OF. The few trade chips we have should be used to address our pithcing needs. 

If it was my choice the only time he'd be in the outfield is when Adley was at DH.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

If it was my choice the only time he'd be in the outfield is when Adley was at DH.

Most right fielders (and also first basemen) have negative DWAR, even if they are above average defenders. For context, Fernando Tatis (RF) who won a Gold Glove this season, had a negative DWAR as recently as 2021 (he didn't play in 2022). Juan Soto might not have any Gold Gloves in his future, but he's not the defensive hack that you're making him out to be. Also,  DRS, UZR, and OAA are better stats to evaluate a player's defense. By those metrics Soto has been a slightly above average defender for most of his career, which is more than acceptable considering what he be brings the the table with his bat and OBP skills. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Most right fielders (and also first basemen) have negative DWAR, even if they are above average defenders. For context, Fernando Tatis (RF) who won a Gold Glove this season, had a negative DWAR as recently as 2021 (he didn't play in 2022). Juan Soto might not have any Gold Gloves in his future, but he's not the defensive hack that you're making him out to be. Also,  DRS, UZR, and OAA are better stats to evaluate a player's defense. By those metrics Soto has been a slightly above average defender for most of his career, which is more than acceptable considering what he be brings the the table with his bat and OBP skills. 

I've not been impressed by what I've seen of him in the outfield.

I'd rather he play as little out there as possible.

How is he being primarily a DH an issue for the team?

• Upvote 1