RZNJ

xWOBA

Rays

Orioles

Yankees

Royals

Giants

Analysis

When it comes to xwOBA, the Rays and Orioles are the standard and show strengths across a variety of pitch types. The Orioles have the lowest xwOBA against four-seam fastballs and the second lowest against sinkers. The Rays stand out for the quality of the organization’s breaking balls. They have the lowest xwOBA against their sliders and curveballs. 

HANDEDNESS

The preponderance of righthanders stand out. Teams that have the best righthanded pitching produce ranks that correlate very well with the overall top rankings. Here are the top five in terms of righthanders and lefthanders presented below. 

RIGHTHANDERS

Yankees

Rays

Mets

Blue Jays

Dodgers

LEFTHANDERS

Orioles

Guardians

Rangers

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Organizational Pitching Statcast Ranking

Organizational Pitching Statcast Ranking

ORG Rank OVR Stf+ IZ-Whiff% Chase% xWOBA
TB 1 119 22.50% 27.00% .293
LAD 2 116 22.00% 26.00% .300
NYY 3 114 22.10% 27.20% .297
BAL 4 114 21.80% 26.30% .294

Lowest in-zone whiff% and low chase%.  Not "metrically great" but the xWOBA being on the low end means our pitchers probably limit hard contact (or induce more FB, IFFB, or GB).  

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

HANDEDNESS

The preponderance of righthanders stand out. Teams that have the best righthanded pitching produce ranks that correlate very well with the overall top rankings. Here are the top five in terms of righthanders and lefthanders presented below. 

RIGHTHANDERS

Yankees

Rays

Mets

Blue Jays

Dodgers

LEFTHANDERS

Orioles

Guardians

Rangers

To put this in Plain Speak:  Elias is bringing in LHP to match with OPACY and they happen to be collectively pretty good too!  

It makes me wonder what the 'normal' organizational RHP/LHP breakdown is?  If the O's are 'overweight' with LHP, then that likely impacts the in-zone whiff% and chase% metrics mentioned above as well.

32 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Lowest in-zone whiff% and low chase%.  Not "metrically great" but the xWOBA being on the low end means our pitchers probably limit hard contact (or induce more FB, IFFB, or GB).  

To put this in Plain Speak:  Elias is bringing in LHP to match with OPACY and they happen to be collectively pretty good too!  

It makes me wonder what the 'normal' organizational RHP/LHP breakdown is?  If the O's are 'overweight' with LHP, then that likely impacts the in-zone whiff% and chase% metrics mentioned above as well.

Can’t speak for the minors, but in the majors about 74% of at bats come against RHP.

I definitely don’t see an overabundance of LHP in our system.  Per BB-ref, we have 11 LH starters and 17 LH relievers in our system (including the majors), compared to 40 RH starters and 110 RH relievers.  So that’s about 16% of our pitchers.   Tampa has 21% LHP, NY 16%, Boston 18%, Toronto 22%.   

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Can’t speak for the minors, but in the majors about 74% of at bats come against RHP.

I definitely don’t see an overabundance of LHP in our system.  Per BB-ref, we have 11 LH starters and 17 LH relievers in our system (including the majors), compared to 40 RH starters and 110 RH relievers.  So that’s about 16% of our pitchers.   Tampa has 21% LHP, NY 16%, Boston 18%, Toronto 22%.   

I've never seen that BB-ref page before.  It's nice to see the stats there too.  I got over my skis hoping to see higher % of LHP.

BA sees something with our LHP still to rank us so high.  Povich, De Leon and Cruz bumps us up that high?  

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

I've never seen that BB-ref page before.  It's nice to see the stats there too.  I got over my skis hoping to see higher % of LHP.

BA sees something with our LHP still to rank us so high.  Povich, De Leon and Cruz bumps us up that high?  

It’s interesting to see that lefties only make up about 20% of most orgs but they pitch 26% of the innings in the majors.  There really is something to that old saw that teams will keep around any lefty with a pulse.