Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I concur 100%.   You look at what FA pitchers cost and I’d be damned happy to have Kremer’s Arb 3 year at what he’d cost.  Of course, if we develop some better alternatives between now and then, fine.  But Kremer’s a good option.  

Just because most of MLB overpays players who don’t deserve it doesn’t mean the Os should.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He is similar to Mountcastle imo. He’s fine when he’s cheap but once the money goes up, you don’t pay him, especially on a team that counts it’s pennies.

Kyle Gibson just got $12 million for 1 year.

Jack Flaherty got $14 million.

Dean Kremer has performed better than both of them over the last 2 seasons and is unlikely to match either in arbitration.

If our financial situation is so dire that we can't pay a (hypothetically) still-performing Dean Kremer $8-10 million in Arb-3, then we should probably just be contracted out of existence.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Jagwar said:

What if it was Cease for Cowser, Ortiz and Kremer?

Wayyyyy toooo much 

There is no way Elias gets close to this. IMO Kremer has too much value to our own team. Plus the White Sox are at least 3 years from being any good. Why would they want to use what’s left of his control on losing teams. And you don’t subtract from your roster when you are competing. You give them prospects! I don’t believe anyone is giving them 2 top 100 prospects. 

Edited by Roll Tide

57 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Kyle Gibson just got $12 million for 1 year.

Jack Flaherty got $14 million.

Dean Kremer has performed better than both of them over the last 2 seasons and is unlikely to match either in arbitration.

If our financial situation is so dire that we can't pay a (hypothetically) still-performing Dean Kremer $8-10 million in Arb-3, then we should probably just be contracted out of existence.

Again, overpaying mediocrity isn’t something you should be happy to do.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He is similar to Mountcastle imo. He’s fine when he’s cheap but once the money goes up, you don’t pay him, especially on a team that counts it’s pennies.

Mountcastle’s problem is he’s either a stud or pitiful. And he’s about 50/50 on each. Kremer outside of a month has been a 3.25-3.50 pitcher over his last few seasons. Why would any team not want to pay for that. I mean he’s a solid mid rotation guy IMO. Hopefully he can put up a complete season this year and shut up all of the naysayers! Is he ever going to be a stud, probably not. But, he’s pretty valuable if he’s close to what he’s been over the last 2 years.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I concur 100%.   You look at what FA pitchers cost and I’d be damned happy to have Kremer’s Arb 3 year at what he’d cost.  Of course, if we develop some better alternatives between now and then, fine.  But Kremer’s a good option.  

The way it stands now hed be all of that maybe more

Just now, Safelykept said:

Because you said Kremer might be out of the game in 3 years. Based upon what? Injury is the only thing that comes to mind.

Huh?

Frobby said something has a 100% certainty, I disagreed.

Cease potentially getting injured has nothing to do with that.

As for non injury issues?  You could even see a freak issue like what happened with Rick Ankiel pop up.  Is it likely?  Of course not, could it happen?  Sure.

So no 100% certainty.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Huh?

As for non injury issues?  You could even see a freak issue like what happened with Rick Ankiel pop up.  Is it likely?  Of course not, could it happen?  Sure.

So no 100% certainty.

What are you talking about?

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Again, overpaying mediocrity isn’t something you should be happy to do.

Kremer in Arb 3 probably makes 60-70% of what he’d make annually as a free agent, without any multi-year commitment.  So how does that constitute an overpayment?

8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Mountcastle’s problem is he’s either a stud or pitiful. And he’s about 50/50 on each. Kremer outside of a month has been a 3.25-3.50 pitcher over his last few seasons. Why would any team not want to pay for that. I mean he’s a solid mid rotation guy IMO. Hopefully he can put up a complete season this year and shut up all of the naysayers! Is he ever going to be a stud, probably not. But, he’s pretty valuable if he’s close to what he’s been over the last 2 years.

Someone has probably looked into this already but does a guy that is hot/cold/hot/cold produce less value than someone who has a consistent level of performance?

If not than your issue with Mountcastle is cosmetic.

11 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Because you said Kremer might be out of the game in 3 years. Based upon what? Injury is the only thing that comes to mind.

Well, injury is a thing, so that could happen.  But we’re going year to year with him, so why worry about that now?

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Huh?

So no 100% certainty.

It’s a fair point.