Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, Daryn Billett said:

I heard a  trade on the Locked On Orioles,  Dylan Cease and Aaron Bummer  for Ortiz, Kremer and Kjerstad,

that would be great trade  for the O's, Bummer had a bad year for the White Sox, but is a ground ball pitcher, and I think the defense

was a big part of it

I refuse to have a pitcher named Bummer on our team.  Every time I’ve seen him pitch, the name has been apt.  

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Mateo may be kind of underrated here now, just like he may have been overrated a year ago.  Bad as his offense was, he was worth 0.8 rWAR, 0.5 fWAR, a year after being worth 3.4 rWAR, 2.9 fWAR.   It wouldn’t shock me if he could triangulate that and be a 1.5 - 2.0 WAR player next year if given regular playing time.  In my opinion, his defense declined a bit this year after he stopped getting regular reps and would probably rebound a good degree if he was playing every day again.  (I’m not going so far as to say he’d return all the way to 2022 levels on defense, but better than 2023, which was still pretty good.)

Right..which is why I said he could be a short term, stop gap for Chicago.  A 1.5-2 WAR player not making much money, playing a premium spot, has value to a team that is tearing things down. He can get 600 at bats there and if they get lucky enough that he has a semi ok offensive  season, they could deal him for something next offseason.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think just for next year alone that I would rather have Quintana over Cease. Let’s say we finish in the same scenario then I’d like the ALDS to look like this,

Game 1 - Quintana at OPACY

Game 2 - Means at OPACY

Game 3 - Bradish on road

Game 4 - Grayson on road

Game 5 - Quintana at OPACY

I’d rather just have the better/higher upside  pitcher. I don’t care what arm they throw with.

I wouldn’t mind a trade for Quintana as our second starter addition for the offseason though.

Edited by Sports Guy

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Kirby has 5 years of service remaining, Gilbert has 4.   The price for either would be extremely high, significantly higher than Cease IMO because of the service time differential.  

Understood, but Seattle’s situation and needs are very different from that of the White Sox. Chicago is years away from contention and will be focusing their energies on acquiring prospects as opposed to players in their prime. The Mariners are already contending in a tough division, and will likely want at least some players who can help them now as opposed to a couple years from now.

If I can acquire a TOR talent like Gilbert by trading a mix of prospects and a couple of our regulars I’d rather do that than get a lesser talent like Cease for prospects alone, especially the prospects Chicago is probably demanding. Or, to put it more specifically— I want to get a premium pitcher without having to include Holliday, Basillo, Mayo, or Kjerstad in the deal. I may be wrong, but I believe that’s more likely working with the Mariners than the White Sox. 

23 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’d rather just have the better/higher upside  pitcher. I don’t care what arm they throw with.

I wouldn’t mind a trade for Quintana as our second starter addition for the offseason though.

I agree with that. It might be getting too cute to go with lefties over Bradish and Grayson, but it all depends on how the season shakes out.

I’ll gladly keep being the president of Quintana’s fan club for the next month or so. He’ll neutralize lefties and then righties gotta try and hit a sinker over wall. 

That’s primarily talking post season. Regular season… if he can stay healthy he could put up like a 20-6 type record with this team and ballpark. And it’s a contract year for him. His last one. 

I know lots of people on here are retired and stuff but I just had a vision of everyone in an office cubical at work.  Everyone faking they are working and they are really heavily involved in a online debate about Cease and pitching statistics......it just made me laugh.  

4 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Understood, but Seattle’s situation and needs are very different from that of the White Sox. Chicago is years away from contention and will be focusing their energies on acquiring prospects as opposed to players in their prime. The Mariners are already contending in a tough division, and will likely want at least some players who can help them now as opposed to a couple years from now.

If I can acquire a TOR talent like Gilbert by trading a mix of prospects and a couple of our regulars I’d rather do that than get a lesser talent like Cease for prospects alone, especially the prospects Chicago is probably demanding. Or, to put it more specifically— I want to get a premium pitcher without having to include Holliday, Basillo, Mayo, or Kjerstad in the deal. I may be wrong, but I believe that’s more likely working with the Mariners than the White Sox. 

Sure, as long as one of the regulars we give up Is Rutschman or Henderson.   😎

I’m kind of joking but kind of not.  Who in the Orioles’ lineup really moves the needle for Seattle?  

Just now, Frobby said:

Sure, as long as one of the regulars we give up Is Rutschman or Henderson.   😎

I’m kind of joking but kind of not.  Who in the Orioles’ lineup really moves the needle for Seattle?  

Seattle needs offense. I think they definitely have interest in one of our IFers that is realistically available and the OFers.

If Kirby was on the table, Mayo or Basallo are a available for me but I don’t find that scenario to be realistic.

Is Quintana even likely to move?     Szymborski's first 2024 ZiPS out was the Mets this afternoon, and it has Quintana as their #2 starter.

I saw Senga went public stumping for Yamamoto (learning him, still getting used to him being DL Hall's age), but Mets don't yet seem to have innings to move.

I think offseason for real unofficially starts tomorrow after MVP's tonight, and we'll see if anyone is striking fast.     A bunch of teams have Ohtani #1 of course, including perhaps Seattle, not that he'd affect their 2024 pitching.