Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

21 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I'm not sure I would prefer an 18 year old Dominican lottery ticket over a guy with 5 years of control remaining who can reach 97 MPH on his fastball and has already had some success at the MLB level, and who can immediately take on some of their 2024 innings, but maybe the White Sox prefer that arrangement.

Every org has arms like Baumann.  I think he can be good out of the pen but he’s a dime a dozen arm.

A rebuilding team would much rather take a shot at a young Intl prospect over that.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Every org has arms like Baumann.  I think he can be good out of the pen but he’s a dime a dozen arm.

A rebuilding team would much rather take a shot at a young Intl prospect over that.

If you are doing a long-term rebuild, sure, but I think they want to be back in contention by 2025 or 2026.

It could also be argued that the lottery ticket types you are talking about are a dime a dozen as well.

I'm not saying I'm not fixated on how Cease is impacted by potential moves as well, but some of the White Sox fans really take it to the next level. The fact that GM's haven't lined up to offer Getz whatever he wants, much less the possibility that these GM's may just be making moves independent of the Cease market, is just devastating for some of them.

Lol @ Cashman thinking this Stroman thing will scare us. Their fanbase hates him, he hates them. They will go together like peanut butter and WD40. 

Go ahead and sign him NY. 

1 minute ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I'm not saying I'm not fixated on how Cease is impacted by potential moves as well, but some of the White Sox fans really take it to the next level. The fact that GM's haven't lined up to offer Getz whatever he wants, much less the possibility that these GM's may just be making moves independent of the Cease market, is just devastating for some of them.

Lol @ Cashman thinking this Stroman thing will scare us. Their fanbase hates him, he hates them. They will go together like peanut butter and WD40. 

Go ahead and sign him NY. 

Narrator: And then the Yankees signed Stroman

I know Getz wants the best deal he can find but IMO he is over estimating Cease’s value.  He seems to be acting like Cease is another Nolan Ryan but in reality, he is a solid #3 starter with a concerning falloff in performance in 2023 vs 2022.  Another organization will be rightly curious which year is the real Cease.  I would not meet Getz’ apparent current asking price given those questions.  I would not be surprised to see the Sox keep him at least until the summer trade deadline.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, deward said:

I'm not convinced that Westburg and Ortiz are interchangeable parts of equal value. I also would rather see Elias trade Hays to open a spot for Cowser and have Kjerstad around in case O'Hearn turns back into a pumpkin. 

I don’t get this type of take. In Cowser’s 95th percentile outcome he becomes as good as Hays. It’s not our money, so why get rid of proven talent following up a 101 win season?

7 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

His ranking of the top 30 starting pitchers in baseball for 2024. 

#30- Dylan Cease

#29- Grayson Rodriquez

#24- Kyle Bradish

#3- Kevin Gausman

#2- Spencer Strider

#1- Gerrit Cole

Trash ranking 

16 minutes ago, coe76 said:

I know Getz wants the best deal he can find but IMO he is over estimating Cease’s value.  He seems to be acting like Cease is another Nolan Ryan but in reality, he is a solid #3 starter with a concerning falloff in performance in 2023 vs 2022.  Another organization will be rightly curious which year is the real Cease.  I would not meet Getz’ apparent current asking price given those questions.  I would not be surprised to see the Sox keep him at least until the summer trade deadline.

When he wasn't dealt at the deadline last year, IMO, that was a big red flag.  Both on how the Sox felt about him as well as how other GMs perceived him.

3 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

FTFY

I’d have said that’s more like the 99th percentile, but Hays is averaging more bWAR so far than Nick