Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

When you play in a weak division like them you can pop up and “compete” a year or so early. The just signed Perez. They have Keller. Good back end of the bullpen. Skenes is there. After looking at their top 30 list, they have a lot of arms in the upper minors that are really close, and in their top 15.

They could trot out Keller, Cease, Skenes, Perez, and Marco Gonzalez or one of their upper level SP prospects. That’s a good rotation for the NL Central with a team that was in first place for quite a bit last year. 

The Pirates are definitely players here. Like the Dodgers, we’d have to offer a Basallo or Mayo to beat what they can offer because of pitching. Heck, the Pirates might be a fit to do the double and get Kopech too for the #5 spot or SU. 

I think they'd let the Dodgers or Pirates have him before they part with Mayo.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I appreciate info like this. You post a lot of good stuff. 

I do think you’re right about Cease. I’m not worried about the Reds out bidding us. I’m worried if the Dodgers are in because they have a slew of SP arms that aren’t good enough for their dream team, but would make up 2-3 spots of a CWS rotation pretty much immediately. 

I worry about the Pirates too. They have a bunch of pitching in their top 15. 

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/pirates/

They could offer a package, like the dodgers, that we can’t compete with. Pitching. We’re debating over Cowser. If the CWS really want SP we’d have to overpay and that’s why Basallo and Mayo come up. 

I think we’re long shots here. It’s looking more and more like Tyler Wells. If that’s the case then maybe we bring in another RH reliever. 

You worry too much. ;)

it’s not a big deal if we don’t land Cease. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

When you play in a weak division like them you can pop up and “compete” a year or so early. The just signed Perez. They have Keller. Good back end of the bullpen. Skenes is there. After looking at their top 30 list, they have a lot of arms in the upper minors that are really close, and in their top 15.

They could trot out Keller, Cease, Skenes, Perez, and Marco Gonzalez or one of their upper level SP prospects. That’s a good rotation for the NL Central with a team that was in first place for quite a bit last year. 

The Pirates are definitely players here. Like the Dodgers, we’d have to offer a Basallo or Mayo to beat what they can offer because of pitching. Heck, the Pirates might be a fit to do the double and get Kopech too for the #5 spot or SU. 

You’re making Martin Perez, Marco Gonzalez, and Michael Kopech sound like good pitchers.  They sucked last year and Skenes probably starts the year in AA.

If the Orioles get outbid by the Reds or Pirates for Cease or any other top SP that would be a terrible look. If that were to happen and Elias comes up empty handed or with only a back-end SP it would be a big failure of the offseason.

However, I’m still expecting Yamamoto to sign, and then the other big market teams will pivot to Montgomery, Snell and the trade market, and any of them could be willing to come in over the top of the Orioles in a trade package even if their farm systems aren’t great.  

1 hour ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

If the Orioles get outbid by the Reds or Pirates for Cease or any other top SP that would be a terrible look. If that were to happen and Elias comes up empty handed or with only a back-end SP it would be a big failure of the offseason.

However, I’m still expecting Yamamoto to sign, and then the other big market teams will pivot to Montgomery, Snell and the trade market, and any of them could be willing to come in over the top of the Orioles in a trade package even if their farm systems aren’t great.  

If the Pirates or Reds massively overpay for him then it’s not a bad look for Elias at all. 

• Upvote 2

If the Os could acquire Corbin Burnes for 4 years of Kremer, 5 years of Westburg (3rd base for Brewers), and 6 years of Ort8z (Adames replacement at Short), would this deal work? The Os would get a compensation pick after offering Burnes at the end of the season, which he would reject (assuming he stays healthy all year)

19 minutes ago, cnmilton said:

If the Os could acquire Corbin Burnes for 4 years of Kremer, 5 years of Westburg (3rd base for Brewers), and 6 years of Ort8z (Adames replacement at Short), would this deal work? The Os would get a compensation pick after offering Burnes at the end of the season, which he would reject (assuming he stays healthy all year)

I don’t think you can trade Westburg and Ortiz. Gotta keep one of them.

Orioles: Perfect Dylan Cease trade Baltimore must offer White Sox (msn.com)

Just saw this one... Ortiz/Stowers/Bright/Armbruester/Fabian for White Sox. I don't know that Ortiz as a headliner will get it done, but I like those other four guys as solid prospects so it could be a good quantity over quality deal for Chicago. It's probably not enough though. I imagine all of us O's fans would do it, which is generally a bad sign for whether a deal is doable. Maybe add one more significant piece like Norby?

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

striker: Cease for Ortiz, Norby, Beavers, Povich and Armbruester. Who says no?

12:12

Dan Szymborski: I’d certainly do that if I’m the White Sox

12:13

Dan Szymborski: I think the O’s might actually blanch at that however

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/dan-szymborski-fangraphs-chat-12-21-23/

5 players for 2 years of Cease? 

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

striker: Cease for Ortiz, Norby, Beavers, Povich and Armbruester. Who says no?

12:12

Dan Szymborski: I’d certainly do that if I’m the White Sox

12:13

Dan Szymborski: I think the O’s might actually blanch at that however

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/dan-szymborski-fangraphs-chat-12-21-23/

Too much IMO

Sox fan here - Dylan Cease was not the same pitcher last year but watching the Sox last year you’d understand why, that whole organization was a COMPLETE MESS, from top to bottom. You put Dylan Cease in a contending team’s staff he’s gonna deliver a Cy Young season(s). Watch the opening day game against the Astros this past season that’s who you’ll get, he’s gonna have clunkers but in big games he’s your guy. 

Sorry guys just wanted to chime in out of curiosity to get a feel what O’s fans felt about Cease. 

My opinion also I’d only trade Cease to the O’s if either Mayo, Kjerstad, or Basallo are headlining the deal. 

20 hours ago, Orange said:

Orioles: Perfect Dylan Cease trade Baltimore must offer White Sox (msn.com)

Just saw this one... Ortiz/Stowers/Bright/Armbruester/Fabian for White Sox. I don't know that Ortiz as a headliner will get it done, but I like those other four guys as solid prospects so it could be a good quantity over quality deal for Chicago. It's probably not enough though. I imagine all of us O's fans would do it, which is generally a bad sign for whether a deal is doable. Maybe add one more significant piece like Norby?

I would do it. If I had a qualm it would be that Fabian feels like a bit much at the end there, just considering our lack of CF depth. But it's not likely Fabian impacts this club in the next year or two or perhaps ever with EBJ (hopefully) on the rise. 

Edited by interloper