Cowser vs Westburg

Sports Guy

Cowser or Westburg?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who you rather trade, Cowser or Westburg?

If you had to trade one of these guys, which would one would you rather trade?

This is a true toss up for me. I can make a good case for keeping or trading either one. 

For me, I choose Westburg because of our IF depth. 

I also believe that since he has already had ML success, that he will hold more value on the trade market even though Cowser is much more highly regarded than he ever was.

Edited by Sports Guy

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If you had to trade one of these guys, which would one would you rather trade?

Assuming the same return? Like who has the higher trade value? I am tempted to say keep Westburg due to his defensive versatility but it's close. If Cowser was in another organization I don't think I'd trade Westburg for him.

I'd like to keep Westburg just because I have had pretty high expectations from the beginning with him. He can play a wide range of positions, and I feel like he can be a 20 HR bat as an infielder.

Cowser should have a lot of value regardless of how he performed in his time in Baltimore. Both should be quite valuable on the trade market.

We have more of a long term logjam in the IF, especially if Mayo ends up capable of playing 3B. One of Westburg and Ortiz should ideally be traded if they can get a good return for them. Whereas in the OF, all of Santander, Mullins and Hays will be gone after 2 years. 

I think Westburg is the more valuable commodity. If we’re getting the same trade back either way, then I’d prefer to keep him over Cowser. But if we can get more for Westburg than for Cowser, then trading Westburg probably works better for us. 

6 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Assuming the same return? Like who has the higher trade value? I am tempted to say keep Westburg due to his defensive versatility but it's close. If Cowser was in another organization I don't think I'd trade Westburg for him.

Yes..look at it like, team X has a player we want and team X says, we need one of Westburg or Cowser in the deal. You are ok with that..which one do you deal.

I’d trade Cowser. I see Westburg as more of a sure thing, with the bonus of positional versatility. Cowser has the higher upside bat, but smaller chance of getting there. Also, we don’t have so many IF prospects that we can just start shipping people out. If you trade one, then you have to hope that all 3 of Henderson, Holliday, and Ortiz work out. I’m not counting Mayo and Norby as true IF prospects. 

7 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I’d trade Cowser. I see Westburg as more of a sure thing, with the bonus of positional versatility. Cowser has the higher upside bat, but smaller chance of getting there. Also, we don’t have so many IF prospects that we can just start shipping people out. If you trade one, then you have to hope that all 3 of Henderson, Holliday, and Ortiz work out. I’m not counting Mayo and Norby as true IF prospects. 

Why would you not include Mayo as a true IF prospect when that is exactly what he is?

6 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I’m confused, which part has you dubious? That Mayo is unlikely to stick at 3B or that 1B isn’t on the same level as any other IF position?

Well first base is an IF position. He plays third and first. He is definitely an IF prospect.

Hes not a MI prospect but he’s an IF prospect.

One of Westburg or Ortiz basically has to be traded unless you want to diminish their value and just have them play sparingly, which doesn’t make sense to me, as their value in a trade package should be more valuable than that.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well first base is an IF position. He plays third and first. He is definitely an IF prospect.

Hes not a MI prospect but he’s an IF prospect.

One of Westburg or Ortiz basically has to be traded unless you want to diminish their value and just have them play sparingly, which doesn’t make sense to me, as their value in a trade package should be more valuable than that.

So you’re just hanging on to the technicality that 1B is in the IF? 

As far as the diminished value of Westburg/Ortiz, it’s reasonable to assume that one of our 4 guys won’t be a ML caliber player. If you trade another one, the you have a hole in the IF. It shouldn’t be difficult to find playing time for all 4 guys, we just have to stop holding on to people like Mateo. Then if all 4 are ML players, trade one or move one to OF.