Naoyuki Uwasawa Offer Being Prepared?

Can_of_corn

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I will try to go back and see exactly what I said at the time people first started bitching about this, but I never believed Elias was signaling a big increase in spending with that remark.  I always thought it was more about winning than spending.  

I thought it was about spending a moderate amount to help the team win more.

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I will try to go back and see exactly what I said at the time people first started bitching about this, but I never believed Elias was signaling a big increase in spending with that remark.  I always thought it was more about winning than spending.  

Here’s what I said last November: “to me, it was a comment about the existing team’s readiness to compete going forward, and had nothing to do with the team spending money.”   So that’s not revisionist history so far as I’m concerned.  

Here’s the immediate surrounding context of Elias’ “liftoff” remark, made shortly after the Mancini and Lopez trades:

“And while I’m super excited about [the rest of] 2022 and what’s ahead of us and our chances, we’re going to continue with the plan of building for this bright, long future in the American League East.

“I think we’re right there. I think it’s liftoff from here for this team. And I think the decisions that we made the last couple of days were difficult in that regard. But we saw opportunities to bring starting pitching into the organization. We’ve got a program running where we bring players in, we see something we like, we give them information, we coach them up and that’s the way successful teams run themselves. Especially with our market size. It’s going to be the way we have to do it, but I see a homegrown team that we want to build around and supplement, and I think that’s going to start this year.”

You can read the rest of the context here.

To me anyone who read “liftoff” as referring to payroll was just grasping at straws.   

Frankly, there are other remarks made at other times that were more germane to the payroll issue.  But I’d leave “liftoff” alone.  We’ve gotten the exact liftoff Elias referred to.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It never hurts to have competition/depth at the back of the rotation in case of injuries, plus I like having a couple of relievers who are capable of going multiple innings.  

The O’s were pretty fortunate last year and only had to use 9 starters, only 7 of whom made 5+ starts.  Here’s the rest of the AL:

TBR 17/9

TOR 8/6

NYY 12/9

BOS 17/9

MIN 10/8

DET 17/9

CWS 11/8

KCR 23/8

HOU 10/9

TEX 10/9

SEA 13/6

LAA 14/9

OAK 24/10

So I think a team really needs at least 9 pitchers they’d be comfortable starting 5+ times.  We have Bradish, Rodriguez, Kremer, Means, Wells, Hall, Irvin and maybe McDermott at some point.  If we add a 1-3 starter that gets us to 9, but a bit of extra insurance doesn’t hurt, especially since we may not want to move Hall or Wells out of a back of the pen spot.

I’m about as worried about our back of the rotation competition as I am IF depth.  

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m about as worried about our back of the rotation competition as I am IF depth.  

It’s a much different situation IMO.  It’s not like we’ve got 2 top 100 pitching prospects sitting around in AAA for over a year waiting for their chance, or the no. 1 pitching prospect rocketing through the ranks.  I wouldn’t say back end depth is our top priority, but if Elias saw an early opportunity to address that, I’m absolutely fine with him doing that.  

Just now, Aristotelian said:

I read some clickbait article saying that Yamamoto would consider the O's if we had at least one other Japanese player. Maybe this is a cheap way of getting him some camraderie.

It was reported that he wanted to go to a team with at least one other Japanese player.  His camp very quickly refuted the story.