Winter Meetings Thread

Roll Tide

Just now, Sports Guy said:

The whole, this is how the system is set up bs has to stop. It’s such a lie.

It’s true that smaller market teams can’t spend as much as large market teams.  It’s also true that the Orioles aren’t spending anywhere near what they could.   

I just want a good team to root for.  I really don’t care how they get there, as long as they get there.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s true that smaller market teams can’t spend as much as large market teams.  It’s also true that the Orioles aren’t spending anywhere near what they could.   

I just want a good team to root for.  I really don’t care how they get there, as long as they get there.  

The smallest of the small market teams give out pre arbitration extensions.  It’s a flat out lie to talk about it.

They aren’t doing because of Angelos..not because of the system. 

Edited by Sports Guy

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

The smallest of the small market teams give out pre arbitration extensions.  It’s a flat out lie to talk about it.

It's conceivable that Elias is just extraordinarily risk adverse.

I don't think that's the case but I do think he's more risk adverse than most.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They’re there.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No snark, but did I miss something in those comments that Elias said that was against extensions?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's conceivable that Elias is just extraordinarily risk adverse.

I don't think that's the case but I do think he's more risk adverse than most.

I don’t buy for a second that Elias isn’t interested in extending these guys.  It’s far more likely that Angelos is just a cheap.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

What Angelos has said is that he couldn’t give out extensions of $160 - 200 mm.   You can debate whether he couid, but in any event he’s never said he couldn’t give out pre-Arb extensions regardless of size.   Nothing he’s said rules out a Chourios-sized extension, for example.  Not that I’m holding my breath.  

So far as I know, only 6 pre-Arb extensions in excess of $100 mm have been given out — Tatis, Franco, Rodriguez, Acuna, Carroll, Giminez.   Lots of teams haven’t done them.  But obviously teams like Tampa and Cleveland have decided these deals made financial sense for them.