Winter Meetings Thread

Roll Tide

42 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I disagree. Unless there's a need at either shortstop or 2B this year, I think he gets the Gunnar treatment (Aug 31st). I expect Mayo has a better chance to make OD lineup than Holliday. Mayo will be there rookie of the year candidate in 2024, Holliday in 2025.

He will have to be hurt or playing poorly, otherwise, zero chance of this happening imo.

50 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I disagree. Unless there's a need at either shortstop or 2B this year, I think he gets the Gunnar treatment (Aug 31st). I expect Mayo has a better chance to make OD lineup than Holliday. Mayo will be there rookie of the year candidate in 2024, Holliday in 2025.

I don't see any way that Holliday languishes in AAA until late August. That qualifies as a fairly wild take IMO. I could see a month or two, maybe. But we'll see! 

Edited by interloper

3 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Dan Clark has no sources.  None.  

He has 54K followers on twitter.

Every one of those followers who isn’t a bot should have to go through a psych evaluation although I do understand that some follow him because of the train wreck theory.

Edited by Sports Guy

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He has 54K followers on twitter.

Every one of those followers who isn’t a bot should have to go through a psych evaluation although I do understand that some follow him because of the train wreck theory.

He's really awful, and quite insufferable whenever anyone calls him out for not having actual sources.  Also was caught plagiarizing Roch and a few other Baltimore journalists from time to time.

5 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

He's really awful, and quite insufferable whenever anyone calls him out for not having actual sources.  Also was caught plagiarizing Roch and a few other Baltimore journalists from time to time.

Yea, I think that’s why some journalists follow him…just to make sure he’s not doing that to them.

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Should be an OH rule that if you post a Dan Clark tweet, treating it like a credible source, should be an automatic 1 day ban.  🤣

Note: not saying Trypatimine was doing that, just saying in general 

That was kind of my point. 1000 people out there claiming to be in the know, when none of them actually know much of anything, the better known guys included.

47 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If Mayo wins 3B this spring and Westburg and/or Ortiz is still in the organization, Holliday is going spend a lot more time in AAA then you guys think. This organization has five players in AAA that are fully major league ready (Ortiz/Mayo/Kjerstad/Norby/Cowser). Holliday is nearly ready but it's too early for me to say he's absolutely ready after just one minor league season.

Good overall points in your post. Just wanted to highlight this section because it goes to show how subjective it is how someone views these infield prospects and how/when they debut. Because to me, Mayo wasn't even vaguely entering into my head as a possibility of breaking camp with the team. I think he 100% debuts this year, but I envision him at Norfolk until someone is injured, be it Mountcastle or Henderson or whomever. And I definitely think it's possible I'm way off on that. 

I think also a lot depends on what happens with the quartet of Westburg/Ortiz/Urias/Mateo. For Holliday or Mayo to break camp, one or two them have to be gone. 

Edited by interloper

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

Good overall points in your post. Just wanted to highlight this section because it goes to show how subjective it is how someone views these infield prospects and how/when they debut. Because to me, Mayo wasn't even vaguely entering into my head as a possibility of breaking camp with the team. I think he 100% debuts this year, but I envision him at Norfolk until someone is injured, be it Mountcastle or Henderson or whomever. And I definitely think it's possible I'm way off on that. 

I think also a lot depends on what happens with the quartet of Westburg/Ortiz/Urias/Mateo. For Holliday or Mayo to break camp, one or two them have to be gone. 

I think Mayo is much closer to ready than Holliday.  Mayo put up an 1,100 OPS in September.  Holliday was just getting acclimated to AAA pitching when the season ended.  I think he barely got his OPS to .800, or just barely missed it. 

If Holliday wasn’t so young with so few AAA ABs, I might think he’d be a solid guess for our opening day 2B. But right now there are a multitude of players that he would be leaping over that deserve a chance to show what they can do. None of them have the ceiling that Holliday does, but until Holliday is really bashing the door down (not there yet, but close) then I want to see what Westburg, Mayo, and Ortiz can bring to the infield. 

Im afraid we’ll see far too much of Urias and Mateo. Both of them should have been released, it’s not like they have any trade value.

• Upvote 1