Bloomberg: Carlyle Group/David Rubenstein In Talks To Purchase Orioles

ThisIsBirdland

2 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

No, there isn’t, but when you’ve taken an organization that was a laughingstock for the past 20-ish years as far as being on the cutting edge (analytics), had next to no international investments and had a bottom of the barrel farm system into an organization that has a top 100 prospect from it’s first international draft class under ME, an analytics department that is world class and a farm/development system that is spoken in the same breaths as the Dodgers and Rays……..you’ve done close to a damn miracle in five seasons.  

That’s what is groundbreaking.  Fixing what was an organization stuck in the Stone Age, to one where we’re in the top 10% in analytics and development.  International scouting may get there one day, but that is the one place where we won’t see immediate results. 

It's pretty insulting to Dan, whom I did have issues with, to call the team under his leadership "in the Stone age".  Dude did what he could.  Contrary to what some folks like to think the Analytics program under Dan wasn't an empty office and the farm was not bereft of talent.

You don't need to tear someone down to make someone else look good.

I also think you pulled that top 10% figure out of thin air.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Pickles said:

I predict Rubenstein is going to become a minority owner with an option to buy some time down the line.

Good prediction, especially considering the much discussed tax savings if the majority sale is after Peter Angelos passes.  However, I am not sure how anyone can rely on anything John Angelos says given his recent history of misleading statements.

2 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

Good prediction, especially considering the much discussed tax savings if the majority sale is after Peter Angelos passes.  However, I am not sure how anyone can rely on anything John Angelos says given his recent history of misleading statements.

You know I'm cautious and skeptical of Rubenstein as I've made clear, but John really is insufferable.

3 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

I suppose they could just write that into the deal: The option to buy comes after the death of Peter.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

This makes sense.  It means Angelos isn't outright lying to the Governor but that the rumours of the sale are still true.

I believe that Tryptamine in the Just a Rumor thread later clarified that this deal would only become effective when PA died.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I believe that Tryptamine in the Just a Rumor thread later clarified that this deal would only become effective when PA died.  

So they're going to wait until Angelos dies to actually sign the deal?

Then that isn't really a deal with an option to buy.  That's a handshake agreement to make the deal after Peter dies.

If I was Rubenstein, I'd want something in writing that legally enforceable.

Just now, Pickles said:

So they're going to wait until Angelos dies to actually sign the deal?

Then that isn't really a deal with an option to buy.  That's a handshake agreement to make the deal after Peter dies.

If I was Rubenstein, I'd want something in writing that legally enforceable.

That’s not what I meant.  I’ll look for what Tryptamine reported.  

It was @Keyganswho made the clarification in the Just a Rumor thread:

“Apparently, we might as well put this rumor to rest for now.   Yes, there is an offer and it is from that group, and they do have an "agreement in place"...BUT....they are waiting for PA to leave us before anything happens.”

• Upvote 2