MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

On 12/24/2023 at 7:50 PM, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Garver to the Mariners:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/mariners-to-sign-mitch-garver.html

That would seemingly put an end to the "Santander or Mountcastle + prospects for Miller/Woo/Gilbert" talk.

A very sneaky / solid signing by the Mariners. Garver is not just a good hitting catcher, he's a good hitter period. Definitely worthy of a full time DH spot. His only issue has been staying on the field / healthy. I still think an India for Miller or Woo trade might have some legs given the needs of both teams, but agree that the door has probably closed on a trade with the O's unless the Mariner's are looking for prospects. 

29 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

A very sneaky / solid signing by the Mariners. Garver is not just a good hitting catcher, he's a good hitter period. Definitely worthy of a full time DH spot. His only issue has been staying on the field / healthy. I still think an India for Miller or Woo trade might have some legs given the needs of both teams, but agree that the door has probably closed on a trade with the O's unless the Mariner's are looking for prospects. 

Jonathan India might rank sixth on the Seattle depth chart at second base behind Luis Urias, Josh Rojas, Jose Caballero, Dylan Moore and Ryan Bliss. As FanGraphs colummunist Dan Szymbvorski noted in his 2024 ZiPS projections for the Mariners: "(Hopefully Jonathan India stays off Seattle's radar; he's not actually projected to be much of an upgrade at second)"

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2024-zips-projections-seattle-mariners/

In the second half of the 2023 season Seattle ranked sixth in the American League in fWAR from second base with a robust 2.7 (and a league-average wRC+ of 101):

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?stats=bat&lg=al&qual=0&season=2023&season1=2023&ind=0&team=0%2Cts&rost=&filter=&players=0&pos=2b&type=8&month=31

The Kolten Wong experiment in Seattle was a disaster but the Mariners have since traded for Urias, Rojas and Bliss while witnessing the unexpected (and perhaps unsustainable) emergence of Caballero.

Like most teams the Mariners have offseason needs but second base is not at the top of the list.

6 hours ago, health55 said:

Jonathan India might rank sixth on the Seattle depth chart at second base behind Luis Urias, Josh Rojas, Jose Caballero, Dylan Moore and Ryan Bliss. As FanGraphs colummunist Dan Szymbvorski noted in his 2024 ZiPS projections for the Mariners: "(Hopefully Jonathan India stays off Seattle's radar; he's not actually projected to be much of an upgrade at second)"

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2024-zips-projections-seattle-mariners/

In the second half of the 2023 season Seattle ranked sixth in the American League in fWAR from second base with a robust 2.7 (and a league-average wRC+ of 101):

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?stats=bat&lg=al&qual=0&season=2023&season1=2023&ind=0&team=0%2Cts&rost=&filter=&players=0&pos=2b&type=8&month=31

The Kolten Wong experiment in Seattle was a disaster but the Mariners have since traded for Urias, Rojas and Bliss while witnessing the unexpected (and perhaps unsustainable) emergence of Caballero.

Like most teams the Mariners have offseason needs but second base is not at the top of the list.

I believe you (or someone else) posted this a day or too ago. I don't buy it. It's a very small sample size and I can't imagine any team would be happy going into the season with Rojas, Cabellero or Moore as their everyday 2B options. I'm not even counting Urias (who can't stay healthy) because he's penciled in as their everyday 3B. Now whether or not India's a significant enough of an upgrade is certainly up for debate, but the idea that the Mariner's wouldn't prioritize upgrading their 2B because Kolten Wong didn't work out seems silly. If we bring the discussion back to the Orioles perhaps a Westberg for Miller or Woo swap would make sense for both clubs? I'm skeptical that's a trade Elias would make though. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

I’d put India and Westburg in a similar boat.  India has the experience and a very good 2021 line.  But he’s had injury issues and hasn’t repeated that perforce last two years.  Which also means 3 less years of control for (what seems like) a cash tight team.  

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Nice observation. Also, the Jays signed IKF to 2/15. Does that take him out on Chapman?  Also, IKF is pretty similar to Mateo. 

I think they've conceded they won't have a 3B as good as Chapman next year.     I visited the Arizona Fall League this year, and their AAA third baseman Damiano Palmegiani was in the Home Run Derby, so I think he's in 2024's Rookie Integration Plan up north.

Dodgers look like they don't have a deal yet on their 40th man, with Bryan Hudson announced as DFA as Yamamoto gets introduced today.     Hudson is a 6'8" left handed pitcher, and Stuff+ supposes his Cut Fastball was the Dodgers best last season.     He struck out 35% of PCL Bats last year - feels vaguely Bryan Baker-ish.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Nice observation. Also, the Jays signed IKF to 2/15. Does that take him out on Chapman?  Also, IKF is pretty similar to Mateo. 

I almost feel bad for the Jays.  Just kidding.  I can't see any scenario where i would want my team to sign IKF to anything more than a 1 year incentive laden deal.  I didn't know the Jays farm system was that bad. 

Is there a scenario where Jordan Montgomery becomes an Oriole?

ST has started. The Giants traded for Cease. The Mets signed Imanaga. The Yankees loved the 23’ Padres so they signed Snell and Hader to reunite with Soto. Montgomery is out there. We offer 5/125 with 50 million deferred at zero interest between 2033-2039. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Is there a scenario where Jordan Montgomery becomes an Oriole?

ST has started. The Giants traded for Cease. The Mets signed Imanaga. The Yankees loved the 23’ Padres so they signed Snell and Hader to reunite with Soto. Montgomery is out there. We offer 5/125 with 50 million deferred at zero interest between 2033-2039. 

No chance.