MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

25 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Tigers sign top prospect to contract extension. 

Tigers Sign Colt Keith To Six-Year Extension - MLB Trade Rumors
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/01/tigers-sign-colt-keith-to-six-year-extension.html

That's an interesting move by Detroit (and Colt Keith), and might deserve its own thread. Infielder who's MLB #22 prospect, comparable to Mayo at #30. Keith showed a higher batting average, but Mayo had a better OB% and SLG. Mayo is also 4 months younger. Just my first take, but it looks to me like the new contract is a really good deal for the Tigers. Would Mayo accept something similar? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Why don’t you think Akin and Zimmerman each have an option?

Roch, back in November seemed to think Akin did.

Mateo, Akin, McKenna and Hilliard have contracts but no promises. Akin is the only one with a minor league option.

He was optioned in 2020, 2021 and 2023. Perhaps the 2020 option to the alternate site does not count?

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Even if they don’t have options, you DFa them and they won’t be picked up in all likelihood.

Yeah, I agree. They are depth, nothing more.

Akin is a decent middle inning guy when healthy. Certainly expendable.

I will say that Zimm looked better with less velo. The ball seemed to have more movement with a bit less velo. SSS and all, but he looked the best at had ever seen him. Interesting that he had the core injury at that time.

45 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Scott Boras would literally break Snell's left arm before he let him sign a one year deal after winning the Cy Young. 

He’d have to be highest AAV player in league.  

Do it.  

8 hours ago, foxfield said:

The above is silly and you know that.  It would be suicide for him to publicly say he is hamstrung by ownership.  In reality, his stubbornness is an indication that he is still on board with the limitations placed on him by ownership.  It would be a much worse sign for him to unload folks to be all in for 2024.  A true indication that he no longer see's himself here for the long haul.

It is also silly to extrapolate that since Elias has done a fantastic job of building a contender that he automatically will navigate the real time challenges to maximize that and keep his window extended into perpetuity.  That is his stated goal, and while he has no post season wins to celebrate, he has earned the benefit of the doubt regarding patience from us.

Your post above simply sounds petulant and childish, but mostly impatient.  But it certainly does not reflect accurately what Angelos or Elias have said they are doing.  If we are here next year, with no post season wins, and no contracts over a year or two, well I think there will be more legitimate questions about Elias' performance.

But where we are, from where we were, is pretty special and should be appreciated.  IMHO

He still needs to manage the roster…basically we’ve added Kimbrel and let a few guys walk. We have guys stuck Stowers, Ortiz, Norby all stuck. There is no sense for any of these guys to be at AAA. You need to clear at least one of Mateo or Urias. And an OF.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, foxfield said:

The above is silly and you know that.  It would be suicide for him to publicly say he is hamstrung by ownership.  In reality, his stubbornness is an indication that he is still on board with the limitations placed on him by ownership.  It would be a much worse sign for him to unload folks to be all in for 2024.  A true indication that he no longer see's himself here for the long haul.

It is also silly to extrapolate that since Elias has done a fantastic job of building a contender that he automatically will navigate the real time challenges to maximize that and keep his window extended into perpetuity.  That is his stated goal, and while he has no post season wins to celebrate, he has earned the benefit of the doubt regarding patience from us.

Your post above simply sounds petulant and childish, but mostly impatient.  But it certainly does not reflect accurately what Angelos or Elias have said they are doing.  If we are here next year, with no post season wins, and no contracts over a year or two, well I think there will be more legitimate questions about Elias' performance.

But where we are, from where we were, is pretty special and should be appreciated.  IMHO

I would have to say more legitimate questions about how much longer Elias will but up w/ JA restrictions. 

57 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

He still needs to manage the roster…basically we’ve added Kimbrel and let a few guys walk. We have guys stuck Stowers, Ortiz, Norby all stuck. There is no sense for any of these guys to be at AAA. You need to clear at least one of Mateo or Urias. And an OF.

No they don’t.  Maybe next year you can make that argument.  They have top level depth.  Appreciate it.  They have put themselves in a position to forge a path of their choosing.  They don’t have to do anything.  

9 hours ago, foxfield said:

I'm not sure about that, especially if he gets tired of the lack of financial support from ownership. I'm certain Elias would have no problem finding another job and would destroy any remaining support Angelos has in the community if he comes forward with his frustrations, assuming he is or eventually feels that way.

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

No they don’t.  Maybe next year you can make that argument.  They have top level depth.  Appreciate it.  They have put themselves in a position to forge a path of their choosing.  They don’t have to do anything.  

I don't think you can print playoff tickets yet.

If some of the stuff that went right in 2023 goes wrong in 2024 they end up wasting a year of Adley and Gunnar.

• Upvote 1