MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

1 minute ago, oriolediehard said:

I saw Aaron Boone interviewed on TV NYC ABC 7 sports news saying the Red Sox are the Yankees #1 rival to get to the World Series. He made no mention of the O's. I think the Yankees still see the O's as the doormat of the AL East.

Well, those two teams were battling it out for 4th place last year, so in a sense the Red Sox are, indeed, the Yankees #1 rival.  🙂

2 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

I saw Aaron Boone interviewed on TV NYC ABC 7 sports news saying the Red Sox are the Yankees #1 rival to get to the World Series. He made no mention of the O's. I think the Yankees still see the O's as the doormat of the AL East.

Hard to get upset about a team that wants to keep spending only to remain irrelevant.  Is there anything better than regularly beating the Yankees on a budget?

It looks like 12/325 for Yamamoto by the Dodgers.

Over a billion in one offseason for two players.  If this is not a successful play to make the Dodgers the official MLB team of Japan, it will be a cautionary tale taught in B-schools for a very long time.

7 minutes ago, 24fps said:

If I'm doing the math right LA also owes his old team in Japan something like $50 million as the posting fee. 

Once posted, Yamamoto will have 45 days to negotiate a contract with MLB teams. The posting fee owed to Orix is tied to the size of the contract and, for a contract over $50 million, the posting fee is $9.375 million plus 15% of the guarantee over $50 million.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/pending-mlb-free-agent-yoshinobu-yamamoto-wins-japans-cy-young-award-equivalent-for-third-year-in-a-row/#:~:text=Once posted%2C Yamamoto will have 45 days to,plus 15% of the guarantee over %2450 million.

Edited by ShoelesJoe

I guess Aaron Boone calling him a "special dude" didn't win the day.

I think Nate Eovaldi is the clubhouse leader for pitching accomplishments after two TJ's, but LAD hopes Walker Buehler and Shohei Ohtani surpass that.     I would guess 6-man rotation or even a once-a-week style becomes the cadence for a bunch of their top arms warming up for the playoffs.

Maybe Ryan Yarbrough will even lead the team in Innings Pitched during the 162!

13 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Over a billion in one offseason for two players.  If this is not a successful play to make the Dodgers the official MLB team of Japan, it will be a cautionary tale taught in B-schools for a very long time.

1.2 billion if you include the posting fee and Glasnow contract.  At what point do other owners say enough and the league gets serious about a hard cap and also hard floor.  You shouldn’t be able to just out pay everyone else and you shouldn’t be able to own a team if you’re not going to spend a certain amount on your product.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

1.2 billion if you include the posting fee and Glasnow contract.  At what point do other owners say enough and the league gets serious about a hard cap and also hard floor.  You shouldn’t be able to just out pay everyone else and you shouldn’t be able to own a team if you’re not going to spend a certain amount on your product.  

There’s every likelihood that the Dodgers will lose in the playoffs (or God forbid, not even make the playoffs), at which point the recriminations will be glorious. Rooting against them will be as American as rooting against the Yankees and Patriots. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

You're right of course, but the prospect of the Dodgers or Yankees failing from wretched excess is a very different (and consequential) problem for a commissioner to have than the Royals or Orioles failing from an excess of restraint from whatever motive.

36 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Yeah poor teams like the Giants, Mets and Padres will complain they can't compete. I'm happy the O's are in a division with the Yankees instead of the Dodgers.

Bully on the Dodgers. They make the Mets and Padres look like day traders  Plus I love it when owners whine about how capitalism and the free market are flawed and unfair, and that  they need regulated markets, collective fiscal oversight, price controls, government handouts, and federal  intervention in the labor market in order to make ends meet so that they can keep giving us baseball out of the goodness of their heart.

Edited by Chavez Ravine