MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

3 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

2021 was a LONG time ago. 

In 2021 Anthony DeSclafani posted 3.0 fWAR with a 3.17 ERA in 31 starts (the same year Mitch Haniger posted a modest 2.5 fWAR with 39 home runs, 110 runs and 100 RBI).

That was a long time ago.

7 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

If the Mariners would have kept Ray they would have owed him $24M this season, $25M next season, and #25M the following season. There's very little chance he would have exercised his opt out after the 2024 because it's a shortened season for him (i.e., less time to prove himself). So they would have probably been on the hook for $74M total over the next three seasons  Now they only have to pay Declafani this seasson ($12M) and Haniger potentially for two seasons ($17M + $15.5M). That's a savings of almost $30M and they freed up a spot for one of their young arms long term. 

I get that.  They save nothing this year.  They get out of the possibility of owing 2/50 if he doesn’t opt out.  If he does opt out, not only don’t they save but they’re stuck $15.5 in the minus.  I agree that it’s likely Ray doesn’t opt out but if he looks good in August and September I wouldn’t bet against it.  In a world where Lucas Giolito gets 2/40 and Frankie Montas gets 1/16, Ray take his chances of getting something better AND choosing his destination.

2 minutes ago, health55 said:

In 2021 Anthony DeSclafani posted 3.0 fWAR with a 3.17 ERA in 31 starts (the same year Mitch Haniger posted a modest 2.5 fWAR with 39 home runs, 110 runs and 100 RBI).

That was a long time ago.

Doesn't really matter. The Mariners are saving quite a bit of money and freeing up a spot for one of their young arms later in the season which I think was their primary motivation for making the trade. 

6 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Either read my reply or get out your calculator and do the math again. 

I missed the reply the first time.  Fortunately, unlike you, I didn’t need a calculator.  Lol

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I get that.  They save nothing this year.  They get out of the possibility of owing 2/50 if he doesn’t opt out.  If he does opt out, not only don’t they save but they’re stuck $15.5 in the minus.  I agree that it’s likely Ray doesn’t opt out but if he looks good in August and September I wouldn’t bet against it.  In a world where Lucas Giolito gets 2/40 and Frankie Montas gets 1/16, Ray take his chances of getting something better AND choosing his destination.

Does it really matter if the savings are this year or in three years? And I would say the chances of Ray opting out of a $25M contract coming off a season where he probably pitches for two months at best is less than 10%. 

1 minute ago, HakunaSakata said:

Does it really matter if the savings are this year or in three years? And I would say the chances of Ray opting out of a $25M contract coming off a season where he probably pitches for two months at best is less than 10%. 

It doesn’t matter.  Just not saving anything on this year’s payroll.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Sean Manaea signs with the Mets.   2 year deal with an opt-out after 2024.

Good signing for them. He was my preferred #4ish guy to sign if we don't make a trade. I think adding the sweeper will do wonders and I would have liked to see the Os pitching guys work with him. Ah well. 

Kind of looking like Stroman or bust?

19 minutes ago, interloper said:

Good signing for them. He was my preferred #4ish guy to sign if we don't make a trade. I think adding the sweeper will do wonders and I would have liked to see the Os pitching guys work with him. Ah well. 

Kind of looking like Stroman or bust?

Yeah I was warming up to the idea of Manaea but oh well. It does seem to be Stroman or bust from a FA perspective. My ideal scenario would be trade for a SP and then sign one more RP in FA. But if we just grab Stroman and call it an off-season, I'd be fine with that too. 

Edit: Immediately after posting this I login to Twitter to see that Stroman has reached out to the Yankees to let them know he is "heavily interested" in signing with them, maybe I don't want him after all!

Edited by The B&G

1 hour ago, The B&G said:

Yeah I was warming up to the idea of Manaea but oh well. It does seem to be Stroman or bust from a FA perspective. My ideal scenario would be trade for a SP and then sign one more RP in FA. But if we just grab Stroman and call it an off-season, I'd be fine with that too. 

Edit: Immediately after posting this I login to Twitter to see that Stroman has reached out to the Yankees to let them know he is "heavily interested" in signing with them, maybe I don't want him after all!

Most free agents are heavily interested in signing with the team that will give them the most money.  For most free agents except for utility guys/middle relievers/fifth starters that would be the Yankees over the Orioles.  I can't blame him. 

3 hours ago, The B&G said:

Kind of hilarious/bold from Stroman, and the Yankees being like ehhh we're good. Lol. 

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Kind of hilarious/bold from Stroman, and the Yankees being like ehhh we're good. Lol. 

Lol yup, I then learned that Stroman apparently is disliked by Yankees fans because of negative comments he made about the Yankees in the past. Overall weird storyline I wasn't expecting to enjoy on this NFL Sunday.