Thoughts on the 2017-21 arbitration award in the MASN case

Frobby

One thing worth noting that might be of interest moving forward.

For the past several years before this year, ACC football and basketball broadcasts were split between ESPN and it's other stations (ESPN2, ESPNU), the ACC Network (which is owned by ESPN but run by the ACC), and what was left over went on a mix of regional sports networks in various ACC markets, which included MASN, NESN, YES, Bally Sports and other regional networks.   So MASN had some ACC basketball and football.   MASN had at least one ACC football game each Saturday during football season and I believe about 2 ACC basketball games a week through the basketball season.

The new ACC TV set up as of this fall, for both football and basketball, has eliminated that last part.  The games that used to go tot he package of regional sports networks that included MASN are now on The CW (which for those who are unaware as the #5 over the air network with stations in most cities, behind CBS/NBC/ABC/Fox.  A distant #5).

So when you have the comments about how MASN's other programming was not very good and was hit or miss... the last few years, the ACC was probably one of their top non-baseball properties.   Probably THE top one   Better than some of the other leagues they show like the CAA, etc.   Certainly better than endless poker reruns and some of the other stuff they air.   They have now lost that, which means their non-baseball inventory has gotten even weaker moving forward.

When you look at the rights fees going up, the cord cutting phenomenon, RSNs around the country folding and now no longer having at least a major conference for NCAA football and basketball.... the future of MASN looks pretty grim.  

6 hours ago, SteveA said:

One thing worth noting that might be of interest moving forward.

For the past several years before this year, ACC football and basketball broadcasts were split between ESPN and it's other stations (ESPN2, ESPNU), the ACC Network (which is owned by ESPN but run by the ACC), and what was left over went on a mix of regional sports networks in various ACC markets, which included MASN, NESN, YES, Bally Sports and other regional networks.   So MASN had some ACC basketball and football.   MASN had at least one ACC football game each Saturday during football season and I believe about 2 ACC basketball games a week through the basketball season.

The new ACC TV set up as of this fall, for both football and basketball, has eliminated that last part.  The games that used to go tot he package of regional sports networks that included MASN are now on The CW (which for those who are unaware as the #5 over the air network with stations in most cities, behind CBS/NBC/ABC/Fox.  A distant #5).

So when you have the comments about how MASN's other programming was not very good and was hit or miss... the last few years, the ACC was probably one of their top non-baseball properties.   Probably THE top one   Better than some of the other leagues they show like the CAA, etc.   Certainly better than endless poker reruns and some of the other stuff they air.   They have now lost that, which means their non-baseball inventory has gotten even weaker moving forward.

When you look at the rights fees going up, the cord cutting phenomenon, RSNs around the country folding and now no longer having at least a major conference for NCAA football and basketball.... the future of MASN looks pretty grim.  

I wonder if MLB will centralize the broadcasting process after Bally crashed and a few more could follow. Why do you need a whole channel devoted to a baseball team? Too many unnecessary costs. 

7 hours ago, SteveA said:

So when you have the comments about how MASN's other programming was not very good and was hit or miss... the last few years, the ACC was probably one of their top non-baseball properties.   Probably THE top one   Better than some of the other leagues they show like the CAA, etc. 

1.  The RSDC made this very point, pointing out that MASN at times showed “Presbyterian College, Liberty University and Charleston Southern” and at other times showed “Georgia Tech, Duke and Syracuse.”

2.  The two advantages MASN has over other RSNs are (1) their rights fees are renegotiated every 5 years, whereas some of these RSNs entered into 10-20 year contracts before the effect of cord-cutting became apparent, and (2) the RSDC decisions plainly are intended to leave MASN with an operating profit once rights fees are paid.  So, if revenues drop, the rights fees will drop.  MASN should never go bankrupt, but the teams may see declining rights fees and profits paid to them as revenue shrinks, which isn’t good.  

• Upvote 1

The next process should be less contentious, as the Nat’s increased equity share will change their incentives.  

For every incremental dollar of MASN profit, Nats will keep 25% (avg equity share from 2022-2026).

For every incremental dollar of combined rights fees, Nats will keep 27.7% (50% split reduced by 48% rev share pay-in net of 3.3% rev share payout).

In the 2027-2032 cycle, the O’s and Nats will be aligned in wanting to minimize rights fees to inflate profits, so this will look like a more typical RSDC process.

16 hours ago, SilentJames said:

All I want for christmas is a standalone streaming option that doesn't require me to use my Mother-in-law's comcast login. 

And if we still have to do that, can someone at MASN figure out how to code a Roku app so that it doesn't weirdly resize the screen every couple innings so that half the video is off the frame and you have to exit and start over and then be forced to watch 2-3 minutes of commercials while the game is going on?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

And if we still have to do that, can someone at MASN figure out how to code a Roku app so that it doesn't weirdly resize the screen every couple innings so that half the video is off the frame and you have to exit and start over and then be forced to watch 2-3 minutes of commercials while the game is going on?

All I want for Christmas are my two front teef (back).  😇

• Upvote 1

All the litigants probably spent more $$ on legal fees than any decision made (not based on any factual knowledge just cynicism). 

Frobby - I apologize that I have never had the patience, let alone expertise, to read through all of this.  Was there any breach of the original contract?