What about Mayo?

RZNJ

58 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think this is probably right, but I’m interested to see if he’s able to minimize some of his flaws this year.  He seemed to be making some progress in the second half last year, though it could have just been a prolonged hot streak.  Jury’s still out a little IMO.   

As mentioned, I also think Westburg has a lot more in the tank than he showed during his decent major league debut. 

I thought Mountcastle showed much better plate discipline after he came back from vertigo. He did a much better job laying off that low and away pitch. You could also see his frustration when layed off that pitch 3-4 inches off the plate and the ump still called it a strike.

Let’s assume the following hypothetical;

1.  Mountcastle’s base is a 114 OPS+.
2.  Mayo’s base is a 125 OPS+.  He’s equal to Mountcastle defensively at 1B and at 3B he’s somewhat below average but not awful.  
3. Westburg’s base is 107 OPS+ and he’s a league average 3B defensively.  

As between Mayo 1B/Westburg 3B and Mountcastle 1B/Mayo 3B, which would you choose?   No copping out by moving someone to DH!  Assume that’s otherwise occupied.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

2.  Mayo’s base is a 125 OPS+.  He’s equal to Mountcastle defensively at 1B and at 3B he’s somewhat below average but not awful.  

As between Mayo 1B/Westburg 3B and Mountcastle 1B/Mayo 3B, which would you choose?   No copping out by moving someone to DH!  Assume that’s otherwise occupied.  

I'd put Mayo at third because Westburg can provide more value when not having a defined defensive position than the other two.

If you don't put Mountcastle at first or DH why is he on the team?

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd put Mayo at third because Westburg can provide more value when not having a defined defensive position than the other two.

That brings up another consideration which is if you choose Mayo/Westburg here you would have to factor in the value of Mountcastle in a trade because I agree with Corn here he would need to go.

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He’s not.  You trade him. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

That brings up another consideration which is if you choose Mayo/Westburg here you would have to factor in the value of Mountcastle in a trade because I agree with Corn here he would need to go.

Except we do have DH where he could play a majority of the time.

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If that's the facts I pick Westburg and Mayo.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Except we do have DH where he could play a majority of the time.

Not really.  Between Adley and Kjerstad I don't think we want to have a permanent DH, especially not one that's only a 114 OPS+   to carry a full time DH, I'd want a better hitter to give up the roster/lineup flexibility. 

2 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Not really.  Between Adley and Kjerstad I don't think we want to have a permanent DH, especially not one that's only a 114 OPS+   to carry a full time DH, I'd want a better hitter to give up the roster/lineup flexibility. 

Have they given up on Kjerstad in the outfield already?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Have they given up on Kjerstad in the outfield already?

No, I don't think so.  But that doesn't change the fact that I don't think the Os wants to have a 'DH only' guy on the roster.  I expect them to continue to use that position to get Adley at bats, to get the 4th outfielder at bats (like Kjerstad, depending on the situation with Santander/Hays), etc.  Mountcastles bat simply isn't good enough to have him penciled in as the full time DH IMO.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I love the guy, but he’s a wild swinging right hander. Hays is like that too. They just aren’t matching the profile of steady hitters who see lots of pitches and don’t chase. I see them trading them both, perhaps this year.

19 hours ago, Frobby said:

This is what I’ve been thinking. Why waste any of their value if you could potentially shift that value to another position via trade to fill a need?  Like SP. But at this point in time, the market isn’t really there. The extra wild card makes everyone think they can compete, which maybe they should. At this point just play Westburg and make Mayo is terrific depth. 

Edited by sportsfan8703