Poster Trade Ideas

Greg Pappas

Bryce Miller is such an interesting guy.  His numbers in his rookie season last year were okay, but not as such to match his dynamic stuff.  Yet a deeper dive into what the M's have done with him to get him from a college reliever to where he is now, is impressive.   @Sports Guy what do you think his value is in trade from our side?  

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well we do know that Seattle has been linked to players similar to Mountcastle, so it appears that they want to add a bat like his.

With Woo and Miller potentially available, what sort of deal do you feel makes sense if Mountcastle went to Seattle?  I just asked about Miller above, so I guess I'd like to get your take on potential matchups with the M's.

Edited by Greg Pappas

I have wondered when something closes whether two things could close.     I regard Stearns and Elias as two big branches of the Luhnow tree and at times the Baltimore Angeloses have done as much as Attanasio in Milwaukee.     When Stearns pushed, his two biggest moves - Lorenzo Cain and Christian Yelich - occurred basically in concert.

Elias' process should be to know the Marlins-White Sox-Brewers asks for Luzardo-Cease-Burnes.     If he has livable terms on two of those deals, does he do just the one that is 3% better on value or both?    Probably there Kremer is a piece for the Win Now trade partner as Means becomes the 5th starter.

A Win Now partner might prefer Means to Kremer....Means and Mountcastle for Burnes?

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

With Woo and Miller potentially available, what sort of deal do you feel makes sense if Mountcastle went to Seattle?  I just asked about Miller above, so I guess I'd like to get your take on potential matchups with the M's.

I have said Cowser for Woo a lot. I think that makes sense (same with Miller)

That said, we don’t know what Seattle really wants. Could they be interested in ML pieces instead?  Yes I can see that. 

We have heard India’s name connected with them but he’s not that good but they are talking to a lot of guys and offense is definitely a priority.

I think a lot of guys make sense, thus why we match up so well with them.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

That said, we don’t know what Seattle really wants. Could they be interested in ML pieces instead?  Yes I can see that. 

We have heard India’s name connected with them but he’s not that good but they are talking to a lot of guys and offense is definitely a priority.

They seem to have an infatuation with IF pieces, like India. I've also heard rumors of Miller for Westburg straight up, so I could see the similar option.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Idea: Seattle sends RHSP Bryce Miller and OF Aiden Smith (19) to us for Cowser and Norby.

@Sports Guy just posted about the Mariners RHP Bryce Miller (25) in the Framber Valdez thread, highlighting how good Miller's stuff is.   He's the guy I want the most, in comparison to Valdez or Cease.   I wonder in Cowser alone could net him?  If so, great.   I love Miller at five controlled years more than Cease at two and Valdez at three, even if losing Cowser and Norby for six seasons.   With the loss of Jared Kelenic to the Braves, the M's have a need in LF and a lefthanded bat, and need a good 2B as well.   Norby's defense is questionable, but his power is not.  Seems like a good fit.   From a needs perspective, Mountcastle would also make sense as a trade candidate for the M's.   Smith is a very good prospect, taken in R4 last year out of the Texas HS ranks.   Click the link to learn more.   I suspect some to scoff at the cost, but Miller could be a an excellent addition to our staff for years to come and Smith would be a nice pick up as well as a high ceiling OF.

I’d be in for this. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yeah, I wondered whether Cowser could net Miller by himself, as the value seems about right, but with Norby added, Seattle should be very happy, even with Aiden Smith coming to us as well. If the M's want at least one ML'er, either Santander or Mountcastle make sense, though neither alone could get Miller (or Woo) in my estimation.  Westburg was mentioned above as a potential option, but I suspect he has a lot of value to us for his versatlity and potential breakout in year two.

Edited by Greg Pappas

2 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Yeah, I wondered whether Cowser could net Miller by himself, as the value seems about right, but with Norby added, Seattle should be very happy, even with Aiden Smith coming to us as well. If the M's want at least one ML'er, either Santander or Mountcastle make sense, though neither alone could get Miller (or Woo) in my estimation.  Westburg was mentioned above as a potential option, but I suspect he has a lot of value to us for his versatlity and potential breakout in year two.

Saw a blurb that mentioned Arozarena or Santander.said a DH to replace JD Martinez and a DH top their list.

So Mounty, Santander, and Hays could all be in play.

Id give them their choice for Gabriel Gonzalez, and give them Cowser for Miller

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Saw a blurb that mentioned Arozarena or Santander.said a DH to replace JD Martinez and a DH top their list.

So Mounty, Santander, and Hays could all be in play.

Id give them their choice for Gabriel Gonzalez, and give them Cowser for Miller

I suspect we wouldn't deal both Cowser and Santander, but one certainly could be in play. 

Surely, I will be on an island with this one, but I would strongly consider sending Mayo, Norby, Beavers and Horvath (if they want to sub in Fabian, etc. that's cool) for Braxton Garrett and Tanner Scott. Four hitters for two pitchers. 

We'd essentially be trading six years of Mayo for five years of Garrett. Scott would be a nice addition, but only for one year as he will be a UFA after next season. 

Would Miami take that deal? If they want to win now, I'm happy to start the conversation with Mountcastle and Hays, but I suspect they prefer the prospects. If three of those four guys become major league regulars, Miami will have done well. 

Just now, Answerman said:

Surely, I will be on an island with this one, but I would strongly consider sending Mayo, Norby, Beavers and Horvath (if they want to sub in Fabian, etc. that's cool) for Braxton Garrett and Tanner Scott. Four hitters for two pitchers. 

We'd essentially be trading six years of Mayo for five years of Garrett. Scott would be a nice addition, but only for one year as he will be a UFA after next season. 

Would Miami take that deal? If they want to win now, I'm happy to start the conversation with Mountcastle and Hays, but I suspect they prefer the prospects. If three of those four guys become major league regulars, Miami will have done well. 

Would be cool to have an arm like Scott in the organization.

8 hours ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

The issue I see with trading Hayes right now is two fold:

1) He is a fantastic defensive outfielder who showed this.time and time again, in an ultra difficult LF at CY.

2).He hits lefties well which obviously is a problem with our roster, as we speak.

He is an excellent defender in LF, no doubt, though his splits last year were similar (.763 v RHP / .786 v LHP).  My issue with Hays is his infuriating inability to hit with any consistency.  Just last year was typical Hays, hitting to the tune of an .853 OPS in the first half, and a .667 OPS in the second half.  He's just so super streaky.  Could we carry him as a platoon guy in LF with Cowser?  Sure, and that could happen, but I just don't want to see him given full time AB's. 

2 hours ago, Answerman said:

Not giving up Mayo.