Poster Trade Ideas

Greg Pappas

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Cowser and Ortiz for Cease

Mountcastle and perhaps a prospect like Max Wagner or someone like that for ECab or Mountcastle/Santander and Norby for Miller or Woo.

Kremer to the highest bidder.

Why do you want to trade Kremer so bad? Seems like you have tossed him into about trade scenario this off season and now you just want to trade him for the highest bidder.

There has been a lot of talk about some pitchers with 1 or 2 years left before free agency.  We have heard the names Cease, Burns, Valdez, Luzardo.  However one name not talked about that I feel is not as far off in talent and wouldn’t cost as much is Mitch Keller of the Pirates.  
The first question is why would the Pirates move him in the first place but looking at there team they are at least 2 years away from competing imo so Keller would be a free agent by then so I expect him to be traded either this trade deadline or next offseason.   He also will get 6 million this year and depending how he pitches 8-12 million the year after so could get little expensive for team with low budget and not competing.  They trade him now they might get better return then at deadline.  

The second question is, is he an upgrade over what we have now.  If you just scan over the numbers you don’t see much that jumps out.  Average ERA, average whip and average whiff rate.  So you might ask why would the Orioles be interested and that  is fair question but looking deeper you see a guy that pitched 194 innings and struck out 210 which is right between Cease and Luzardo last year and 10th in baseball.  He also was near the top for starters in exit velocity and hard hit % so he seems to be showing flashes of his potential to possibly breaking out with that comes the major reason I like him as a trade option.  The Pirates are probably rank near the very bottom in development of pitchers over the last 10 years or so.  They have had some guys that never put it together in Pittsburgh and reach their potential.  Gerritt Cole was just average pitcher there before turning into arguably the best pitcher in the game.  Joe Musgrave who was the main piece in trading Cole came over and struggled to get ERA under 4 his 3 years and was traded and has had ERA at 3 since the trade to the Padres.  Charlie Morton another ex Pirate was good and bad there but never consistent.   He also gets moved to the Astros and then later to Rays and becomes a very good to great pitcher for both teams and instrumental in those teams success.  

Looking at all those factors I really like the idea of making a trade for Keller as a slightly lower cost guy but also someone that is on the cusp of breaking through and with our pitching lab working with him to make few adjustments he could reach his potential which is why I have him higher on target list then many other people might.  I think he could slot in as 2-3 guy in our rotation this season bumping Means down to 4.  

Trade idea.  Dean Kremer and Beavers/Norby for Mitch Keller.  It gives us a guy for the next two years with higher upside than Kremer and allows us to move Means down a ring on rotation for a relatively cheaper price tag then other options imo.  The Pirates get a solid mid to back end rotation guy that is cheaper and you have under control for two extra years plus a younger positional player with 6 years of control.   

38 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Why do you want to trade Kremer so bad? Seems like you have tossed him into about trade scenario this off season and now you just want to trade him for the highest bidder.

Because I think we should upgrade from him and I think we should also be looking to add a young controllable arm since we don’t have many, if any, viable starters coming up soon and we won’t be spending to get one.

32 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

The first question is why would the Pirates move him in the first place but looking at there team they are at least 2 years away from competing imo so Keller would be a free agent by then so I expect him to be traded either this trade deadline or next offseason.

Is that so?  Somebody needs to tell the Pirates,then.  They're reportedly talking with the White Sox about Cease.

Here are a few.

Ortiz/Cowser/Baumann/Armbruester for Cease

Why it makes sense for the WS.  Ortiz can be their SS or 2B depending on where they see top prospect Colton Montgomery in the future.  Luis Robert is in CF and they are stuck with Benintendi in LF, Colas really fizzled in RF and Cowser fits perfectly there.   Baumann and Armbruester have both started and throw mid 90’s.   The WS can try them as starters with the fallback of reliever.  All 4 players are young cheap and have tons of team control.

Why it makes sense for O’s.  Cease fits in as a #3 starter but could be more.  He doesn’t break JA’s piggy bank and he posts up.   Cowser and Ortiz likely don’t fit into the 2023 plan and Ortiz has Mayo and Holliday on the way.  Cowser has been passed by Kjerstad and Beavers should be ready next year.  Baumann has potential as a reliever but he’s out of options.  Armbruester could be a good bullpen piece but we have others (McDermott/Pham/Pinto/Brnovich/etc.)  Their is a lot of competition for Cease and our 1-2 of Cowser/Ortiz is tough to beat but they need some pitching in the deal too.

to be continued

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Because I think we should upgrade from him and I think we should also be looking to add a young controllable arm since we don’t have many, if any, viable starters coming up soon and we won’t be spending to get one.

What do you think Kremer by himself could bring back in a trade? He seems pretty valuable in a certain sense... a 28 year old SP with back to back healthy seasons, both average or better, and four years of control remaining. 

But, you could say a lot of similar things about Cole Irvin. I think Kremer is better, but they're similar in lacking TOR upside. And it didn't take much to acquire Irvin.

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

What do you think Kremer by himself could bring back in a trade? He seems pretty valuable in a certain sense... a 28 year old SP with back to back healthy seasons, both average or better, and four years of control remaining. 

But, you could say a lot of similar things about Cole Irvin. I think Kremer is better, but they're similar in lacking TOR upside. And it didn't take much to acquire Irvin.

I would be looking for lower level, high upside boom or bust type guys.

We don’t need near ML ready players and I’d be swinging for ceiling over floor.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Here are a few.

Ortiz/Cowser/Baumann/Armbruester for Cease

Why it makes sense for the WS.  Ortiz can be their SS or 2B depending on where they see top prospect Colton Montgomery in the future.  Luis Robert is in CF and they are stuck with Benintendi in LF, Colas really fizzled in RF and Cowser fits perfectly there.   Baumann and Armbruester have both started and throw mid 90’s.   The WS can try them as starters with the fallback of reliever.  All 4 players are young cheap and have tons of team control.

Why it makes sense for O’s.  Cease fits in as a #3 starter but could be more.  He doesn’t break JA’s piggy bank and he posts up.   Cowser and Ortiz likely don’t fit into the 2023 plan and Ortiz has Mayo and Holliday on the way.  Cowser has been passed by Kjerstad and Beavers should be ready next year.  Baumann has potential as a reliever but he’s out of options.  Armbruester could be a good bullpen piece but we have others (McDermott/Pham/Pinto/Brnovich/etc.)  Their is a lot of competition for Cease and our 1-2 of Cowser/Ortiz is tough to beat but they need some pitching in the deal too.

to be continued

Hell to the no ….No Cease!

IF we are unable to package Ortiz for a rotation piece and he's not slated to get significant time in the majors I would look to deal him for an upper level pitching prospect or lower level prospects of any type.  Big league teams looking for a SS right now but maybe not someone unproven. 

The Marlins.

The Giants

The White Sox

The Brewers after they trade Adames.

The A's