Poster Trade Ideas

Greg Pappas

58 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t think Elias is dealing any of Holiday, Kjerstad, Mayo, or Cowser. I’m not sure about Ortiz . And per his comments he thinks highly of Norby per his recent remarks.

Great.  So some of Hays, Santander, Mounty, Urias, Mateo are moving on then.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t think Elias is dealing any of Holiday, Kjerstad, Mayo, or Cowser. I’m not sure about Ortiz . And per his comments he thinks highly of Norby per his recent remarks.

It would, of course, be beneficial for a GM to speak highly of any prospect prior to attempting to trade them. I agree that Holliday and Mayo are basically untouchable, not as sure on HK or Cowser, and it would be pretty foolish for Ortiz and Norby not to be available. 

I'd put an offer of Ortiz/Norby/Povich/some other ML arm on the table and see if anyone will beat it. I'm not convinced that Cease will ever pitch like an ace again, but he'd be a solid mid-rotation option, at least. Ortiz and Norby would give the ChiSox a pair of major-league ready options and Povich is still a potential rotation option for them in the near future. 

23 minutes ago, deward said:

It would, of course, be beneficial for a GM to speak highly of any prospect prior to attempting to trade them. I agree that Holliday and Mayo are basically untouchable, not as sure on HK or Cowser, and it would be pretty foolish for Ortiz and Norby not to be available. 

I'd put an offer of Ortiz/Norby/Povich/some other ML arm on the table and see if anyone will beat it. I'm not convinced that Cease will ever pitch like an ace again, but he'd be a solid mid-rotation option, at least. Ortiz and Norby would give the ChiSox a pair of major-league ready options and Povich is still a potential rotation option for them in the near future. 

To listen to their fans Ortiz and Norby would be good second and third pieces. 

Honestly if Ortiz is the plus plus defender that he’s billed we might regret trading him for two years of Cease. If he hits OPS .800 he’s extremely valuable. As for Norby it doesn’t sound like Elias considers him a throw in on any deal.  I think the mistake was picking up mediocre veteran 2B the last two years and not give him a chance to show off the bat. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

What were his recent comments on Norby?  Hard to believe he’s off limits.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

What were his recent comments on Norby?  Hard to believe he’s off limits.

I didn’t say he was off limits. I believe he said that they value him and aren’t just going to give him away. So a team expecting to get him as a throw in is going to be disappointed 

15 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

Honestly if the Sox don't value Ortiz (like we do) then why not just trade Westberg instead? Other than the one year age gap I really don't see a huge difference between the two players. At least not as second basemen. 

I believe in Westburg's bat more than I do Ortiz, and I don't see the defensive difference between the two to be very pronounced anywhere other than at short, where neither is likely to play fulltime with Gunnar and Holliday around. 

15 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Honestly if Ortiz is the plus plus defender that he’s billed we might regret trading him for two years of Cease. If he hits OPS .800 he’s extremely valuable. As for Norby it doesn’t sound like Elias considers him a throw in on any deal.  I think the mistake was picking up mediocre veteran 2B the last two years and not give him a chance to show off the bat. 

I'll be shocked if Ortiz ever has a MLB season where he OPSes .800.

That said, he doesn't need to do that to be valuable.

I'll bet his peak is a few seasons of OPS around .700 with plus to double plus SS defense.

15 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I'm not considering Norby a throw-in here, I think three legit prospects for Cease is a very fair offer and I don't know if I see another org offering dramatically more. A team might be able to offer more pitching, which would be difficult for the O's to match, but the total prospect value there seems reasonable enough for someone who isn't coming off a great year.

Idea: Seattle sends RHSP Bryce Miller and OF Aiden Smith (19) to us for Cowser and Norby.

@Sports Guy just posted about the Mariners RHP Bryce Miller (25) in the Framber Valdez thread, highlighting how good Miller's stuff is.   He's the guy I want the most, in comparison to Valdez or Cease.   I wonder in Cowser alone could net him?  If so, great.   I love Miller at five controlled years more than Cease at two and Valdez at three, even if losing Cowser and Norby for six seasons.   With the loss of Jared Kelenic to the Braves, the M's have a need in LF and a lefthanded bat, and need a good 2B as well.   Norby's defense is questionable, but his power is not.  Seems like a good fit.   From a needs perspective, Mountcastle would also make sense as a trade candidate for the M's.   Smith is a very good prospect, taken in R4 last year out of the Texas HS ranks.   Click the link to learn more.   I suspect some to scoff at the cost, but Miller could be a an excellent addition to our staff for years to come and Smith would be a nice pick up as well as a high ceiling OF.

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Idea: Seattle sends RHSP Bryce Miller and OF Aiden Smith (19) to us for Cowser and Norby.

@Sports Guy just posted about the Mariners RHP Bryce Miller (25) in the Framber Valdez thread, highlighting how good Miller's stuff is.   He's the guy I want the most, in comparison to Valdez or Cease.   I love Miller at five controlled years more than the other two at two years each, even if losing Cowser and Norby for six seasons.   With the loss of Jared Kelenic to the Braves, the M's have a need in LF and a lefthanded bat, and need a good 2B as well.   Norby's defense is questionable, but his power is not.  Seems like a good fit.   From a needs perspective, Mountcastle would also make sense as a trade candidate for the M's.   Smith is a very good prospect, taken in R4 last year out of the Texas HS ranks.   Click the link to learn more.   I suspect some to scoff at the cost, but Miller could be a an excellent addition to our staff for years to come and Smith would be a nice pick up as well as a high ceiling OF.

I think part of the appeal of the Mariners and Marlins is they may be placing higher value on veteran returns than the White Sox. It would be nice to move any of the Santander/Hays/Mountcastle/Urias/Mateo group as part of any return for a SP. I have no idea how much value those veterans carry with other teams or how much Elias wants to part with them either. As fans though it would be ideal to see some space cleared. 

9 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I think part of the appeal of the Mariners and Marlins is they may be placing higher value on veteran returns than the White Sox. It would be nice to move any of the Santander/Hays/Mountcastle/Urias/Mateo group as part of any return for a SP. I have no idea how much value those veterans carry with other teams or how much Elias wants to part with them either. As fans though it would be ideal to see some space cleared. 

Yeah, I'd give up Santander, Hays, or Mountcastle if it helped get a SP like Miller.  I'm not high on either Hays or Mountcastle though, and suspect the return for them would be less than ideal.  Yet, it's hard to say how other teams value our vets.  

Edited by Greg Pappas

2 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Yeah, I'd give up Santander, Hays, or Mountcastle if it helped get a SP like Miller.  I'm not high on either Hays or Mountcastle though, and suspect the return for them would be less than ideal.  Yet, it's hard to say how other teams value our vets.  

Well we do know that Seattle has been linked to players similar to Mountcastle, so it appears that they want to add a bat like his.

• Upvote 1