Poster Trade Ideas

Greg Pappas

15 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

He is an excellent defender in LF, no doubt, though his splits last year were similar (.763 v RHP / .786 v LHP).  My issue with Hays is his infuriating inability to hit with any consistency.  Just last year was typical Hays, hitting to the tune of an .853 OPS in the first half, and a .667 OPS in the second half.  He's just so super streaky.  Could we carry him as a platoon guy in LF with Cowser?  Sure, and that could happen, but I just don't want to see him given full time AB's. 

In the past his ability to hit lefties hard, was his ticket to at bats.

Even as a Hayes fan, I cannot argue your points. He is very streaky and doesn't hit enough Homer's to level it out. 

I do believe in a different ballpark, he could excel and take that next step. As a right pull hitter, OPACY is doom.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

In the past his ability to hit lefties hard, was his ticket to at bats.

Even as a Hayes fan, I cannot argue your points. He is very streaky and doesn't hit enough Homer's to level it out. 

I do believe in a different ballpark, he could excel and take that next step. As a right pull hitter, OPACY is doom.

Yeah, Hays would likely be served by a new park.  He is a talented guy and would draw some interest I'm sure.  What sort of value he'd bring back would be fun to speculate on.  

Edited by Greg Pappas

2 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Yeah, Hays would likely be served by a new park.  He is a talented guy and would draw some interest I'm sure.  What sort of value he'd bring back would be fun to speculate on.  

Hayes would be a beast in Boston. Strong arm, pull hitter. Just sayin'. 

50 minutes ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

Hayes would be a beast in Boston. Strong arm, pull hitter. Just sayin'. 

Except for 2021, history says you are correct with Hays hitting .308 or better each season.  He also does well in Yankee Stadium.  Rogers Center not so much.

I played baseball at Yale 15 years before Mike Elias was born, so I feel entitled to pretend I’m him,  planning the long game with an owner willing to run  a $100 Million payroll to win some championships. It starts with a trade idea I threw out as a wild-eyed hypothetical several weeks ago that would upgrade the weakest spots of two small market teams.  

Jackson Holliday, #1 prospect in baseball and plus IF, Dean Kramer,and Connor Norby for Jackson Chourinos, #2 prospect in baseball and plus CF, Corbin Burnes, and Bryse Wilson

Keep Urias and Mullins on 2 year deals, Santander in 3. Get the best SP available for combo of  Hayes and Mountcastle.

2024  Start Chourinis at  AAA Initial lineup. IF Gunnar, Ortiz, Westburg, and Mayo/Santander. OF Cowser,  Mullins, Kjerstad/Santander. C, Adley SP Burnes, Rodriguez, Bradish, Means, and whichever of Wells/Hall isn’t in the back end of the BP with Kimbrel, Cano, and Wilson. Bring up the first CF that appears to be ready among Chourinos,Deavers, and Bradfield and give them four or five starts each week.

Next offseason. Exercise Kimbrel buyout if Bautista is on track for 2025. Wave good bye to Burnes.  Negotiate a reasonable 2 year deal for McCann.  Trade Mullins if the audition(s) were successful. Trade Santander if two of Cowser, Kjerstad, and Mayo  had successful debuts. There should be some payroll savings in  all that and it could be a lot. Use it to extend Gunnar, Rodriguez, or Bradish.

2025 Bring up AAA/AA SP most deserving of an audition. Re-set starting lineup with successful 2024 debutants. Start Basallo at AAA and bring him up at midseason to split time at C with Adley. Trade Santander if we haven’t already. Adley at DH or 1B  when not catching.  Also at midseasonup  of Horvath, Wagner, or Arias to audition a Uriaas’ utility IF replacement.

Next offseason. Non-tender Urias. Tender Adley, but avoid  arbitration and restock by trading him for a boatload of whatever we need at that point

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, George Zuverink said:

I played baseball at Yale 15 years before Mike Elias was born, so I feel entitled to pretend I’m him,  planning the long game with an owner willing to run  a $100 Million payroll to win some championships. It starts with a trade idea I threw out as a wild-eyed hypothetical several weeks ago that would upgrade the weakest spots of two small market teams.  

Jackson Holliday, #1 prospect in baseball and plus IF, Dean Kramer,and Connor Norby for Jackson Chourinos, #2 prospect in baseball and plus CF, Corbin Burnes, and Bryse Wilson

Keep Urias and Mullins on 2 year deals, Santander in 3. Get the best SP available for combo of  Hayes and Mountcastle.

2024  Start Chourinis at  AAA Initial lineup. IF Gunnar, Ortiz, Westburg, and Mayo/Santander. OF Cowser,  Mullins, Kjerstad/Santander. C, Adley SP Burnes, Rodriguez, Bradish, Means, and whichever of Wells/Hall isn’t in the back end of the BP with Kimbrel, Cano, and Wilson. Bring up the first CF that appears to be ready among Chourinos,Deavers, and Bradfield and give them four or five starts each week.

Next offseason. Exercise Kimbrel buyout if Bautista is on track for 2025. Wave good bye to Burnes.  Negotiate a reasonable 2 year deal for McCann.  Trade Mullins if the audition(s) were successful. Trade Santander if two of Cowser, Kjerstad, and Mayo  had successful debuts. There should be some payroll savings in  all that and it could be a lot. Use it to extend Gunnar, Rodriguez, or Bradish.

2025 Bring up AAA/AA SP most deserving of an audition. Re-set starting lineup with successful 2024 debutants. Start Basallo at AAA and bring him up at midseason to split time at C with Adley. Trade Santander if we haven’t already. Adley at DH or 1B  when not catching.  Also at midseasonup  of Horvath, Wagner, or Arias to audition a Uriaas’ utility IF replacement.

Next offseason. Non-tender Urias. Tender Adley, but avoid  arbitration and restock by trading him for a boatload of whatever we need at that point

This was well-thought out and I appreciate the time and effort you took to share.

On 12/23/2023 at 7:03 AM, Greg Pappas said:

Idea: Seattle sends RHSP Bryce Miller and OF Aiden Smith (19) to us for Cowser and Norby.

@Sports Guy just posted about the Mariners RHP Bryce Miller (25) in the Framber Valdez thread, highlighting how good Miller's stuff is.   He's the guy I want the most, in comparison to Valdez or Cease.   I wonder in Cowser alone could net him?  If so, great.   I love Miller at five controlled years more than Cease at two and Valdez at three, even if losing Cowser and Norby for six seasons.   With the loss of Jared Kelenic to the Braves, the M's have a need in LF and a lefthanded bat, and need a good 2B as well.   Norby's defense is questionable, but his power is not.  Seems like a good fit.   From a needs perspective, Mountcastle would also make sense as a trade candidate for the M's.   Smith is a very good prospect, taken in R4 last year out of the Texas HS ranks.   Click the link to learn more.   I suspect some to scoff at the cost, but Miller could be a an excellent addition to our staff for years to come and Smith would be a nice pick up as well as a high ceiling OF.

Seattle is unlikely to part with Bryce Miller, who comes with six seasons of team control.

The Mariners' needs at second base are overblown. Kolten Wong certainly brought down Seattle's production at second base in 2023. In the first half of the season the Mariners ranked 11th in the league with 0.3 fWAR from second base:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?lstats=bat&lg=al&qual=0&season=2023&season1=2023&ind=0&team=0%2Cts&rost=&filter=&players=0&sortcol=21&sortdir=default&pos=2b&type=8&month=30

Aided by Wong's DFA on July 31, the Mariners in 73 second-half games ranked sixth in the league with a robust 2.7 fWAR (and a league-average 101 wRC+) from second base (the Twins ranked first):

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?stats=bat&lg=al&qual=0&season=2023&season1=2023&ind=0&team=0%2Cts&rost=&filter=&players=0&sortcol=21&sortdir=default&pos=2b&type=8&month=31

The second-half rebound was fueled by Josh Rojas, Jose Caballero and Dylan Moore, who remain on the Seattle roster. The Mariners have since added Luis Urias, who would likely slot at third base if the season started today. Second-base prospect Ryan Bliss is projected to debut in 2024.

Like most teams, the Seattle Mariners have offseason needs but second base does not top the list.

1 hour ago, health55 said:

Seattle is unlikely to part with Bryce Miller, who comes with six seasons of team control.

The Mariners' needs at second base are overblown. Kolten Wong certainly brought down Seattle's production at second base in 2023. In the first half of the season the Mariners ranked 11th in the league with 0.3 fWAR from second base:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?lstats=bat&lg=al&qual=0&season=2023&season1=2023&ind=0&team=0%2Cts&rost=&filter=&players=0&sortcol=21&sortdir=default&pos=2b&type=8&month=30

Aided by Wong's DFA on July 31, the Mariners in 73 second-half games ranked sixth in the league with a robust 2.7 fWAR (and a league-average 101 wRC+) from second base (the Twins ranked first):

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?stats=bat&lg=al&qual=0&season=2023&season1=2023&ind=0&team=0%2Cts&rost=&filter=&players=0&sortcol=21&sortdir=default&pos=2b&type=8&month=31

The second-half rebound was fueled by Josh Rojas, Jose Caballero and Dylan Moore, who remain on the Seattle roster. The Mariners have since added Luis Urias, who would likely slot at third base if the season started today. Second-base prospect Ryan Bliss is projected to debut in 2024.

Like most teams, the Seattle Mariners have offseason needs but second base does not top the list.

What I read about their offseason needs said a COF and DH. 

• 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Would you trade Jackson Holliday to the Marlins for Eury Perez?  In this scenario, the Marlins would be agreeable to a straight up one for one trade. 

Hell no. Respectfully. :)

Basallo, sure. But Holliday being a MI and his elite skills playing every single day I would take over a top SP prospect. 

28 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Would you trade Jackson Holliday to the Marlins for Eury Perez?  In this scenario, the Marlins would be agreeable to a straight up one for one trade. 

No. Not trading the elite bat/position player for elite pitcher. Too much injury risk for the pitcher.

• Upvote 1

On 12/24/2023 at 3:16 PM, George Zuverink said:

I'm late to the party on this one, but this is a fascinating trade proposal; its been the only offer where I didn't immediately say no that had Holliday included.

I'd pull the trigger on it.  Sadly no way the Brew Crew do it now (nor would it ever be a thing either team would truly consider) with Chourio penciled in on a friendly 8 year deal.

27 minutes ago, interloper said:

Hell no. Respectfully. :)

Basallo, sure. But Holliday being a MI and his elite skills playing every single day I would take over a top SP prospect. 

The 6' 8 Perez was great last year in his rookie season, as a 20-year old.  He has all the makings of a true #1, and though he did end the season in late September with left SI joint inflammation (Perez is right handed) it shouldn't be an issue moving forward. I thought a stud like Perez would be one of only a few guys pitchers I'd consider dealing Holliday for, and thought it'd be fun to see what others here thought. 

Edited by Greg Pappas

23 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No. Not trading the elite bat/position player for elite pitcher. Too much injury risk for the pitcher.

Yeah... this is where I ended up as well... but it sure is tempting. 

Edited by Greg Pappas