Breaking down Holliday’s swing

Sports Guy

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 5:59 PM, RZNJ said:

Must see video.  On some of these highlights there’s a leg lift but it doesn’t seem as pronounced as it is now.  On many it’s more of a toe tap and hardly any foot/leg movement at all.  Interesting.

Are any of these post-getting sent down? Video is 3 weeks old. 

EDIT: Sorry, think I misread your post. Disregard. 

Edited by interloper

56 minutes ago, interloper said:

Are any of these post-getting sent down? Video is 3 weeks old. 

EDIT: Sorry, think I misread your post. Disregard. 

Here's an at bat from a couple days ago. I think in any event the soonest we see Holliday back is around the All Star break.

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Here's an at bat from a couple days ago. I think in any event the soonest we see Holliday back is around the All Star break.

Leg kick still looks too big to me, but I guess we will see.  It just seems like he has trouble getting it down when it’s supposed to. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Leg kick still looks too big to me, but I guess we will see.  It just seems like he has trouble getting it down when it’s supposed to. 

It’s going to take time to unlearn years of muscle memory. I wonder if the organization ever considered adjusting Holliday’s swing before, but didn’t considering his meteoric rise through the farm system. 

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It’s going to take time to unlearn years of muscle memory. I wonder if the organization ever considered adjusting Holliday’s swing before, but didn’t considering his meteoric rise through the farm system. 

I think part of the issue is that he is generating his power with the leg kick.  Probably made sense to see if he could get away with it.  And maybe he will. 

24 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I think part of the issue is that he is generating his power with the leg kick.  Probably made sense to see if he could get away with it.  And maybe he will. 

Shohei converted to a toe tap once he hit MLB because he had trouble catching up with fastballs.  Maybe Holliday can experiment with something similar.

34 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Just a reminder on how Jackson views the leg kick…

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/jackson-holliday-talks-hitting/

Good article.

“I’m good at hitting fastballs up in the zone; that’s something I’ve worked on. I’m always finding little things to challenge myself with.”

Interesting because this was probably his most glaring weakness while with the Orioles.

“The leg kick, and making sure that I’m on my backside, is important to me. If you come out of your backside, your front side is going to open; bad things tend to happen when the front side opens“

Again, interesting because opening up too soon seemed like something he was doing and bad things did happen.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Update for last week.

In the Tides' last six games, Holliday hit    .348 / .500 / .478

Overall he is hitting .264 / .435 / .396    since being demoted towards the end of April.   More walks than K's.

Edited by Aglets

14 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Update for last week.

In the Ironbirds' last six games, Holliday hit    .348 / .500 / .478

Overall he is hitting .264 / .435 / .396    since being demoted towards the end of April.   More walks than K's.

What’s he doing playing for the Ironbirds?

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What’s he doing playing for the Ironbirds?

Oops.  Pretty big error on my part.   I was looking at Ironbirds stats right before I checked Holliday.    Fixed, thanks.

On 5/6/2024 at 3:28 PM, Hallas said:

Shohei converted to a toe tap once he hit MLB because he had trouble catching up with fastballs.  Maybe Holliday can experiment with something similar.

Well the Orioles certainly don't seem to be in any rush to change much about his swing. Looks the same to me, so I'm curious what adjustments they are having him make. 

On 5/6/2024 at 4:22 PM, RZNJ said:

Good article.

“I’m good at hitting fastballs up in the zone; that’s something I’ve worked on. I’m always finding little things to challenge myself with.”

Interesting because this was probably his most glaring weakness while with the Orioles.

“The leg kick, and making sure that I’m on my backside, is important to me. If you come out of your backside, your front side is going to open; bad things tend to happen when the front side opens“

Again, interesting because opening up too soon seemed like something he was doing and bad things did happen.

He wasn’t good at hitting the high FB in the MLB..