Respect!? O’s are 4th in MLB.com’s power rankings

Frobby

4) Orioles
The general consensus was that the Orioles would be in on at least some of the top starting pitchers on the market this offseason, but then again, that was the general consensus at the Trade Deadline, too, and it didn’t turn out that way. Craig Kimbrel remains the only major addition for the Orioles, and while there’s still time left for the stove to remain hot, it certainly doesn’t feel like the Orioles are about to make a big move. That may be frustrating to Orioles fans, but this is where we remind you that this team won 101 games last year and is about to bring in Jackson Holliday, the consensus favorite for AL Rookie of the Year. The Orioles could still use some pitching, we think. But even if they don’t add any, they might be even better than they were in their breakthrough 2023 season.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-power-rankings-inaugural-2024-edition?partnerId=zh-20240102-1128920-mlb-1-A&qid=1026&utm_id=zh-20240102-1128920-mlb-1-A&bt_ee=2SJ7jUpZIJwLg8LcrdN0SkzGY%2FKLjr4xR4m8Q%2BYWq6l%2B3jiH74ZURtKdE3sunUjv&bt_ts=1704202596249

The funny think about this blurb is there’s a hyperlink where they refer to Holliday as “the consensus favorite for AL Rookie of the Year.”  When you click the link, it takes you to this article, which predicts that Wyatt Langford will win the ROY and makes no mention whatsoever of Holliday.   

That is funny on the hyperlink.

I have no issue with being ranked #4 behind those teams. Texas' rotation is a bit banged up and I wouldn't be surprised if we're better than them, but after they demolished us in the second and third playoff games I don't think we're owed being ranked higher. LAD and ATL are just loaded teams.

• Upvote 1

#4 overall is assuming that Kimbrel is a 1:1 replacement for Bautista, which he isn't, and that Holliday starts the year with the big club and performs at AL ROY level.  Those are some big assumptions.  I do see Mullins having a bounce back year since he is healthy.  Maybe not 30-30, but 20-30.  

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd back the truck up for that guy. 

Before Labor Day, I don't think many here would have considered either one of Cowser or Kjerstad for him.    He showed how to make the most of a small sample!

4th in Power Rankings feels about right if we get to be 1st in the AL.     I give we aren't at Bryce, Ronald or Shohei's teams yet.

I look forward with hope to Grayson Rodriguez knocking the bat out of Evan Carter's hands in future AL competition.

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

Before Labor Day, I don't think many here would have considered either one of Cowser or Kjerstad for him.    He showed how to make the most of a small sample!

4th in Power Rankings feels about right if we get to be 1st in the AL.     I give we aren't at Bryce, Ronald or Shohei's teams yet.

I look forward with hope to Grayson Rodriguez knocking the bat out of Evan Carter's hands in future AL competition.

He did make the most of his small sample in Texas, for sure.

But his separation between his batting average and his on base percentage has always been elite, no matter what level he's been at.  

I feel fine with being ranked 4th, too.  

I think 4th feels a little optimistic.  But, I’ll think about it harder once we see what further moves the O’s and other teams make before spring training starts.   There’s too much that has yet to happen to bother with power rankings at this stage of the offseason.  

12 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

This is tempting me to look at the box score of game 2 of our playoff series with them.  I don't need that today, but I'm pretty sure Grayson already had his big showdown with Evan Carter and the Rangers.  

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This is tempting me to look at the box score of game 2 of our playoff series with them.  I don't need that today, but I'm pretty sure Grayson already had his big showdown with Evan Carter and the Rangers.  

Rookie Integration Plan, playoff version.

Grayson took the bump 10.8.2023 with precisely the amount of seasoning his talent, health and Mike Elias' management let him have.

It will be very bad news if that singular on showdown proves correct!     Certainly its possible next month as Grayson starts ramping up to 100 something is wrong, but so far he gets a PASS on the outcome of Is your High School Arm's basic talent intact X years later?