Fangraphs’ Ben Clemens: “C’mon Orioles, Do Something!”

Frobby

8 minutes ago, deward said:

That's not really the premise of the article. Clemens isn't arguing for Elias to do something for the sake of doing something, he's essentially arguing that it would be a potential waste of a very good team and opportunity if Elias ultimately ends up not making any moves to buttress areas of concern (like the rotation) due to reluctance to part with prospects or commit money. His point boils down to one sentence:

image.png.6d563da058208732464d46ee6a80e11b.png

Yep..and he’s 100% correct.

11 minutes ago, deward said:

That's not really the premise of the article. Clemens isn't arguing for Elias to do something for the sake of doing something, he's essentially arguing that it would be a potential waste of a very good team and opportunity if Elias ultimately ends up not making any moves to buttress areas of concern (like the rotation) due to reluctance to part with prospects or commit money. His point boils down to one sentence:

image.png.6d563da058208732464d46ee6a80e11b.png

I mean they only need one starting pitcher. Sure they could and should pay money to someone like Montgomery or Snell (or whomever if you don't like those guys). Or they could and should trade for someone like Cease or Luzardo (or whomever). 

But it's not like we should be out there making a ton of moves. We just need the one guy and the roster is pretty set other than maybe some bullpen tinkering around the edges. 

It's frustrating that the Orioles are reluctant to spend and slow to trade, yes, full agree. But a several-thousand word article based around the fact that it's January 19 and we haven't yet made the one solitary move that's still needed is kind of wild. 

Edited by interloper

39 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

That's not what @ChosenOne21was saying.  He was questioning Clemens' sanity by only having Kremer as a "reasonable" #5 (vs. something higher).  And Means' history isn't quite IP eater category.  At least that's how I read the comment.

Correct. Kremer is much better than a reasonable 5th starter.

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

I mean they only need one starting pitcher. Sure they could and should pay money to someone like Montgomery or Snell (or whomever if you don't like those guys). Or they could and should trade for someone like Cease or Luzardo (or whomever). 

But it's not like we should be out there making a ton of moves. We just need the one guy and the roster is pretty set other than maybe some bullpen tinkering around the edges. 

It's frustrating that the Orioles are reluctant to spend and slow to trade, yes, full agree. But a several-thousand word article based around the fact that it's January 19 and we haven't yet made the one solitary move that's still needed is kind of wild. 

I don't disagree with any of that. I would argue that they should also be looking to trade either Hays or Mounty for some lower level pitching prospects, to open up another lineup spot for the next wave. Doesn't need to happen by Opening Day though.

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This whole, well it happened last year so therefore it will happen this year argument is so stupid.

Aren’t you literally making that argument in the other thread? You were telling me that because Elias didn’t make a blockbuster trade last year, he isn’t going to make one this year. 

Just now, RarityFlaherty said:

Aren’t you literally making that argument in the other thread? You were telling me that because Elias didn’t make a blockbuster trade last year, he isn’t going to make one this year. 

I'd say there is a pretty significant gap between "blockbuster" and what he did at the deadline last season.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'd say there is a pretty significant gap between "blockbuster" and what he did at the deadline last season.

I’m not saying it was a blockbuster trade. Im just saying that what he did last year does not preclude him from doing something different this year. 

2 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

I’m not saying it was a blockbuster trade. Im just saying that what he did last year does not preclude him from doing something different this year. 

What I'm a saying is that he could have made a deal that would have strengthened the team for the playoffs that would not have cost him a "blockbuster" level of return and instead decided on a couple of long shots to improve the team.

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Why should this team not be favored right now to make the playoffs?

1. Team's actual W/L record exceeded their expected wins
  2. Team's actual runs scored exceeded their projected runs scored

That's the two big ones really.

Now you can feel free to discount both of them but they are realistic reasons to project the team to win substantially fewer games.