Once Holliday graduates, the SS depth in the system looks pretty thin

interloper

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think they are a top 10 system without their top 5. I think that’s a reach.

I think they could be in the 12-18 range.

Maybe. Depends on how you value depth vs. higher ranked top 100 guys. I named several orgs that are definitely ahead of us, and some others that are unusually a bit thin. We have a good number of guys off our top 30 or so who could be much higher in other orgs. I’m no expert, and it is very subjective, obviously. 

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Two words.  Latin America. 

1. Leandro Arias

2. Luis Almeyda

3. Emilio Sanchez

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if pick #22 or pick #32 was a SS.

Good thread.  There definitely is a gap on MI prospects from  ML level down to Aberdeen. 

This. The Orioles have drafted very outfield heavy of late and where they have spent bonus money or draft capita on SSs they have turned into busts (Servideo and Young) of late. Obviously the Latin American guys have a long way to go, but right now they are the best SS prospects not named Holliday left in the system. 

But the OP does bring up a gap in the system right now and that is certainly at SS. Heck, most of the guys listed aren't SS either. 

The good news is with Gunnar and Holliday, the team should not need a SS any time soon so they have time to develop another legitimate starting SS prospect.

• Upvote 2

AAA
Greg Cullen (27, .634 OPS)
Errol Robinson (29, minor league signing, .624 OPS)

The waiver claim for Livan Soto helps make the AAA SS depth look at least a little better now. Soto has two options and is a roughly .700ish guy in the minors with good defense. If he stays on the 40-man, he will be the primary "break glass in case of wildly improbable emergency" guy at Norfolk. Of course, the ML roster has a million shortstops, so things would have to go really wrong. 

But it's nice to have a guy of Soto's relative calibre down there. 

• Upvote 1

It looks like we’ll see Soto play a lot of SS for Norfolk. Holliday at 2B to start the season. Then possibly Norby and Vavra there. Soto has two options so he takes care of our depth for awhile until the A ball guys come up. There’s also a good possibility that we draft one of the HS “shortstops” ranked around where we pick at 22nd and 32nd overall. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/5/2024 at 12:13 PM, Bemorewins said:

I can’t argue with Elias approach to the draft. But I don’t think the farm is balanced at all. We are very position player rich and very pitching poor in terms of prospects (as proof look at our top 100 guys). 

However, as long as he is willing to deal from our over abundance in order to acquire impact pitching for the Big League team, I am fine with his draft strategy/approach. BPA seems to be working out quite well.

The foundation had to be laid first and it has been.  Yes we are top heavy on position players at the highest level but I think you will see more balance over time. Either way Elias has earned the benefit of the doubt on accumulating talent. 

If he can drive continued ML success and ultimately nab us a title in the next 3 years…I really could care less how he does it. 

We have a perfect alignment.  Youth, talent more coming and a new ownership group. You should be a lot more than fine with Elias and his draft strategy/approach.  Cause it has been outstanding.