JD Martinez

Roll Tide

2 hours ago, Rustbelt said:

There are several things that teams do I cannot understand.

1. Signing DH only players

2. Draft and develop exclusively relief pitchers

3. Spending a high draft pick on 1B

Obviously, there are some exceptions but these limit team's roster options. 

Exactly. This roster has been constructed since the day we became competitive to not need a dedicated DH. This post is silly.  

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

****** Martinez made $10 million last year. Even if it’s solely Angelos that’s in the price range on a 1 year deal.

Maybe so, but if they are in the market to spend once they get a fix on possible production of the guys trying to permanently break in (which I think they are doing), that's 10M less on the maybe 20-25M budget they might be willing to spend come the trade deadline to give us a better push than we had last year.  I don't think it's an "Angelos" thing.  I think it's an Elias thing.  I think he'll spend and be able to when he finds the value he's looking for. 

Could be totally wrong, but that's how I see it.  Plus, I think they're far more likely to spend money on a RP if they do anything else prior to the trade deadline.  And then that figure comes out of that 20-25M I think they might have to play with this season.