Means behind schedule and won't be ready by opening day

Tony-OH

9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

So, this doesn’t make me think he makes it through the season unscathed, even if he misses the first 4-6 weeks of the season.

When ever I commented about John Means, I was basically baking in the assumption that he wouldn't make it a full season. I just thought he was start the year healthy and not on the IL. But it seams he's already starting it on the IL.

Similarly, I don't assume that Tyler Wells will make it through a full season as a starter. I think it's a safe bet to say that if you get half a season out of both Tyler Wells and John Means as effective starters, than they've achieved what we can expect of them.

I think Cole Irvin can eat some innings for the full season. And he's the only other left hander we have besides Means, unless you can actually trust Zimmerman.

But then that leaves our depth razor thin and the bullpen is looking very weak.  The hope is our starting rotation can persevere and be healthy until the AAA Calvary of prospects arrives.  I think McDermott might be at the top of the list at this moment in time for an opportunity. But we have to see how they do in real games in 2024.

5 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

When ever I commented about John Means, I was basically baking in the assumption that he wouldn't make it a full season. I just thought he was start the year healthy and not on the IL. But it seams he's already starting it on the IL.

Similarly, I don't assume that Tyler Wells will make it through a full season as a starter. I think it's a safe bet to say that if you get half a season out of both Tyler Wells and John Means as effective starters, than they've achieved what we can expect of them.

I think Cole Irvin can eat some innings for the full season. And he's the only other left hander we have besides Means, unless you can actually trust Zimmerman.

But then that leaves our depth razor thin and the bullpen is looking very weak.  The hope is our starting rotation can persevere and be healthy until the AAA Calvary of prospects arrives.  I think McDermott might be at the top of the list at this moment in time for an opportunity. But we have to see how they do in real games in 2024.

Big opportunity for McDermott in ST.   O's need a long man/spot starter in the pen to start the season.   

Geez... everybody just pause, and take a breath. Last season the O's had no Means for the vast majority of the year. Bradish went on the DL for a stint after that comebacker. GRod totally sucked at first, got demoted before coming back and shining. DL Hall missed a significant period of time. Wells was an all star, and then he wasn't. Irvin was pretty much a turd of an acquisition.  

And the O's won 101 games.

Breathe... just breathe...  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Geez... everybody just pause, and take a breath. Last season the O's had no Means for the vast majority of the year. Bradish went on the DL for a stint after that comebacker. GRod totally sucked at first, got demoted before coming back and shining. DL Hall missed a significant period of time. Wells was an all star, and then he wasn't. Irvin was pretty much a turd of an acquisition.  

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Yup, it's a long season. I'd like to them get another decent pitcher but I think we'll be fine, April is a soft schedule. 

I think that training staff partied too hard after winning their award for last season. Someone needs to go down to Florida and see WTF is going on. 

What Col. Jessup Can Teach Us About Winning Proposals

I feel its likely Means was going to have innings limit to some degree anyway - either due to a minor injury at some point, or just because he hasn't pitched in basically two years.  If he's held back until 5/1 or thereabouts, I don't see that as a big deal.  Wells can take those few starts in April, and then move into the BP to replace whoever is struggling the most there.  Irvin can be the 5 until someone in AAA steps up or we acquire another starter (or, on the hopeful side, Bradish returns).

6 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Irvin was a turd of an acquisition at the start.  He actually pitched very well for us in the 2nd half.  I think people forget that.

14 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Irvin was a turd of an acquisition at the start.  He actually pitched very well for us in the 2nd half.  I think people forget that.

I like Irvin and think he'd be okay as the 5.  Means is more talented but I never want to count on him.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if Irvin ending up having more value this year.  Bradish, on the other hand, ugh.

53 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Dont we have McDermott and Povich in AAA? Im not sure what other pitching prospects are in Norfolk but a few starts there and they could be ready for Baltimore.

Elias made comments that would lead people to believe the Orioles want to give them more tome developing in Norfolk to start the season. 

But to elaborate on your question, the other prospects in Norfolk are Justin Armbruester and Ryan Watson. They also have veteran pitcher Andrew Suarez they just picked up. Of those 3 names only Armbruester has any significance of a ceiling for potential.

36 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Elias made comments that would lead people to believe the Orioles want to give them more tome developing in Norfolk to start the season. 

But to elaborate on your question, the other prospects in Norfolk are Justin Armbruester and Ryan Watson. They also have veteran pitcher Andrew Suarez they just picked up. Of those 3 names only Armbruester has any significance of a ceiling for potential.

Thanks. I've heard of Armbruester but didnt see him on Tony's top 30 list, so I figured he's isnt on par with Povich and McDermott.

15 hours ago, wildcard said:

Big opportunity for McDermott in ST.   O's need a long man/spot starter in the pen to start the season.   

They are not going to want to put McDermott on the 40 man unless there’s no other decent choice.