2024 Yankees - Aaron Judge/Juan Soto friendship watch

Just Regular

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Judge runnings away w/ the MVP race.  Already up to 48 HR and 118 RBI.  Threatening to win Triple Crown.  Other than injury or total collapse at the plate, looks like it's his to lose.

It is really not even close.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Mike Rizzo gilding the lily showing Juan Soto the lineup he could return to.    

It's all about the Benjamin's, baby.  Soto would probably join the White Sox if Elon Musk bought them and they offered the most money.

On 8/23/2024 at 4:03 PM, OriolesMagic83 said:

It's all about the Benjamin's, baby.  Soto would probably join the White Sox if Elon Musk bought them and they offered the most money.

I hope so - Hal is going to have to grow himself if he wants to win a bid against the Guggenheim Partners and Steve Cohen.

We can say for sure today the 2024 Orioles haven't run circles around the 2024 Yankees, but whose season ends up more successful is still an open question.

Passan got a meaty quote from Francisco Lindor in his free agency preview piece at ESPN this morning:

"When it comes to the outfielder from across our borough," New York Mets shortstop Francisco Lindor said, "he's having a fantastic year and I hope he goes out there and breaks every record out there when it comes to getting paid. If it's with us, it'll be fantastic. He'll help us a lot."

Plausible deniability - he might be talking about Alex Verdugo.     Also, there are some other places across from the Queens borough...

A buddy who loosely follows baseball asked me last night if Judge is the best Yankee in the last 25 years. I said yes, without hesitation. Then said it’s more like the last 50 years. 

I asked a buddy of mine who’s a diehard Yankees fan today his thoughts, he said the best Yankee since Mantle.

• Upvote 1

Judge is about to overtake Rickey's best by fWAR to make the NYY Top 6 single seasons since Mantle's debut two seasons of Judge and four seasons of Mantle.

Mantle's best wRC+ was the '57 with the .512 OBP, but entering tonight Judge this year was beating that by 8.     He maybe lost some hitting into that there double play in a big spot against the Nationals just now.

Soto in 128 games has already zipped past Jeter's best.

I haven’t been following the D.J. LeMahieu saga this season, but just saw him ground into a double play against the Gnats and decided to look up his 2024 stats. Holy crap. 

.200 / .267 / .256

48 OPS+

-1.5 WAR

$15 million in 2024

$15 million in 2025

$15 million in 2026

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Players grappling with the fact the people with pocket protectors have done the math and even Keegan Akin 17 pitches at a time might be better than Corbin Burnes 93 pitches at a time.

Lot of off days in the postseason.

You have to be a workhorse and a showhorse to keep your regular season role.    Thanks for the innings though Nestor (and Kyle Gibson).

• Upvote 1