Check out the bat speed...and check out the foot speed....Coby Mayo's got serious skills..

Roy Firestone

Very early but, offensively, having great at bats, looks like he belongs, and actually looks like he could make an impact this year.  How soon?    It’s going to be an interesting case to follow this spring.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Very early but, offensively, having great at bats, looks like he belongs, and actually looks like he could make an impact this year.  How soon?    It’s going to be an interesting case to follow this spring.

When does Mountcastle start his 2 month slump?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Not that it really matters, but I’m not really buying the “foot speed” part, Roy.  Tony has him as a 45 runner (slightly below major league average) now, 40 in the future.   Eric Longenhagen has him as a 50 runner (average) now, 40 in the future.   Nothing in that video suggests otherwise.  

The bat is another story entirely.  There’s no question that Mayo’s “contact to damage ratio” (as Buck used to say) is going to be excellent.  It’s just a matter of what his K rate will be as a major leaguer.  It was 23.2% in AAA and if he keeps it in that range he’s going to be a helluva hitter.  

8 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I reserve the right to be the Coby Mayo spokesperson on this page..I reported his story 4 years ago...I know the family and Coby I will share what I am allowed to share...but he's gonna be MY guy to watch this year...

Mine too. I met his family when Bowie came to Richmond and still have contact info.   Seeing him play 3B and swing the bat, I think he is the next big thing to come up through the minors.  Nothing against holiday, cowser, kjerstad, etc., but my $$ is on Coby.

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not that it really matters, but I’m not really buying the “foot speed” part, Roy.  Tony has him as a 45 runner (slightly below major league average) now, 40 in the future.   Eric Longenhagen has him as a 50 runner (average) now, 40 in the future.   Nothing in that video suggests otherwise.  

The bat is another story entirely.  There’s no question that Mayo’s “contact to damage ratio” (as Buck used to say) is going to be excellent.  It’s just a matter of what his K rate will be as a major leaguer.  It was 23.2% in AAA and if he keeps it in that range he’s going to be a helluva hitter.  

I'm talking about speed for a big man...he's 6'5. 220..and definitely runs well...He got down the line and second base pretty quickly in that clip...he also hustles...He's plenty fast enough...

2 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I'm talking about speed for a big man...he's 6'5. 220..and definitely runs well...He got down the line and second base pretty quickly in that clip...he also hustles...He's plenty fast enough...

He’s as fast as he needs to be for a guy with his other skills.  45 doubles last year tells me all I need to know on that score.  

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Sweet, another Coby Mayo thread.  Now we just need to rename the other one to something like "General Spring Training Competition Discussion" 

There was a general spring training thread, but it was locked.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

My excitment level for Mayo and Basillo is starting to approach the same level that I had for Rutschman and Henderson. It's nuts to think that our farm system is so loaded that it's possible to experience that same feeling only a few years apart.

don't forget Holliday