Jump to content

Assuming he starts the year at AAA, how would you utilize Coby Mayo?


Jim'sKid26

Recommended Posts

Roch makes the case that Mayo is very likely to start the season in Norfolk. 

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/blogger/school-of-roch

" I still think he goes down to Triple-A again because there isn’t an obvious spot for him with the Orioles wanting Gunnar Henderson to play shortstop and third base, and Jordan Westburg second and third base. The club is impressed with the gains he’s made defensively but also want him playing every day. Hard for it to happen in the majors right now. But he’s impressed manager Brandon Hyde and the coaching staff as much as anyone in camp. It’s easy to see why he might be untouchable in trade talks."

So are you impressed enough with his work at 3B that you play him there every day? Does he get time at 1B and RF? What's the message you send to him regarding his likely future position? I have to believe they see him as a future RF/1B and I believe they should maximize his exposure at those positions at the expense of time at 3B. Are there aspects of his development that make you feel differently?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Roch makes the case that Mayo is very likely to start the season in Norfolk. 

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/blogger/school-of-roch

" I still think he goes down to Triple-A again because there isn’t an obvious spot for him with the Orioles wanting Gunnar Henderson to play shortstop and third base, and Jordan Westburg second and third base. The club is impressed with the gains he’s made defensively but also want him playing every day. Hard for it to happen in the majors right now. But he’s impressed manager Brandon Hyde and the coaching staff as much as anyone in camp. It’s easy to see why he might be untouchable in trade talks."

So are you impressed enough with his work at 3B that you play him there every day? Does he get time at 1B and RF? What's the message you send to him regarding his likely future position? I have to believe they see him as a future RF/1B and I believe they should maximize his exposure at those positions at the expense of time at 3B. Are there aspects of his development that make you feel differently?

O's mgt have told him to focus on 3B.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

 

So are you impressed enough with his work at 3B that you play him there every day? Does he get time at 1B and RF?

Seriously, none of us have seen him enough to be impressed or unimpressed with his work at 3B this year.  But I’d have him playing 2/3 at 3B, 1/3 at 1B.  I don’t want him juggling 3 positions at once.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

The Orioles need to decide if Westburg or Mayo is going to be the primary 3B.   If it’s Westburg, I’d have Mayo start learning RF at Norfolk.   
 

If it’s Mayo just have him continue to get reps at 3B and eventually transition Westburg to a jack of all trades.

I feel like Basallo will be the primary 1B by sometime next year.

Edited by RZNJ
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How is it he has no place to play everyday now but he will later?

He can’t play exclusively at third because it’s unlikely that’s the position he helps the Os in 2024, barring injuries or unexpected poor performance of course.

So, I would be playing him in RF and first base often. I would probably do something like 50%/25%/25% in terms of third/first/RF, at least to start and those percentages could shift depending on what you see from Gunnar, Holliday and, to a lesser extent, Westburg.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still like him at 3B long-term as I see his ceiling on both sides of the game higher than Westburg (no offense to Westy).  But ultimately agree with Frobby and RZ that the O's brass has more (and more informed) eyes on both compared to me.

A little disappointed to hear Roch chatter about Gunnar at 3B.  I hope that's just Roch speculating vs. him as a mouthpiece. 

80% reps at 3B and 20% at 1B.  We've got a handful or more of OF prospects and more stable vets this year there too.  Nothing really at 1B if Mounty isn't an option for any reason.  O'Hearn could revert to pumpkin status (I don't think so but he's done it before), Mounty track and health record isn't exactly a solid/high floor either.  Basallo is a 1B option but he's on the C path too.  So there's PAs available at 1B if one thing goes sideways.

I'm "willing" to sacrifice his arm at 1B because other options (ahem HK) look lost at 1B (and more competent elsewhere).

I also hope Roch is wrong about not being on the OD roster.  A few things have to break right for that to happen, but there are ways...  If he's not on OD, he's a guy they could slow roll until August (assuming we're competitive without him), have him on the PO roster and still have a ROY shot in 2025.  Bradish's health impacts the math too...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

Because inevitably injuries happen. Or somebody is traded at the deadline. 

You missed the point of that question.

When I asked that, it was literally asking, where is he going to play if he can’t do it now?  To me, the only way he gets regular playing time up here is if he can also play first and RF.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

How is it he has no place to play everyday now but he will later?

He can’t play exclusively at third because it’s unlikely that’s the position he helps the Os in 2024, barring injuries or unexpected poor performance of course.

So, I would be playing him in RF and first base often. I would probably do something like 50%/25%/25% in terms of third/first/RF, at least to start and those percentages could shift depending on what you see from Gunnar, Holliday and, to a lesser extent, Westburg.

Aren't we just as crowded at the other spots?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

You missed the point of that question.

When I asked that, it was literally asking, where is he going to play if he can’t do it now?  To me, the only way he gets regular playing time up here is if he can also play first and RF.

Gotcha. 

I think there's a scenario where he plays 3B the majority of the time up here, and Westburg floats around the IF with Urias being traded, but then that doesn't feel like Westburg is getting enough playing time. I guess Westburg could man 2B in a scenario where Mayo makes it and Holliday doesn't. 

I think it's interesting that they've played Westburg at SS a couple times in spring and he's looked fine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

Aren't we just as crowded at the other spots?

Probably…although that could change as the season goes on but if he shows the ability to play 3 positions, as opposed to just one (and of course, you can add DH to that), it increases his chances of getting into the lineup in different ways.

There is only one player who is guaranteed to play 155+ games if he’s healthy all year and that’s Gunnar.  
 

Plus lots of guys that he could be taking playing time from have injury histories, so that could factor in..not to mention we have a lot of lefties and may need that righty bat to platoon some.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Gotcha. 

I think there's a scenario where he plays 3B the majority of the time up here, and Westburg floats around the IF with Urias being traded, but then that doesn't feel like Westburg is getting enough playing time. I guess Westburg could man 2B in a scenario where Mayo makes it and Holliday doesn't. 

I think it's interesting that they've played Westburg at SS a couple times in spring and he's looked fine. 

Westburg could be trade bait but I think it’s too early for that because you traded Ortiz and you just don’t know for sure how things will play out with Mayo and especially Holliday’s defense.

People keep saying it’s a good problem to have and that is sort of true but there is definitely a lot of uncertainty about a lot of things and uncertainty isn’t a good thing.

We also have the long term issue of the rotation, whether it be what’s going on with Bradish this year or the inevitable losses in the rotation after 2024.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

 

A little disappointed to hear Roch chatter about Gunnar at 3B.  I hope that's just Roch speculating vs. him as a mouthpiece. 

* * *

I also hope Roch is wrong about not being on the OD roster.  

I generally don’t think Roch has the inside scoop on this stuff very often. He’s been wrong about roster moves plenty of times, and he himself admits. I do think, though, that he’s right that Mayo isn’t likely to make the OD roster.  As to Gunnar playing 3B, let’s remember that Gunnar started 44 games at 3B and 13 at SS in the first half of the season, then 51 games at SS and 24 at 3B in the second half.  I don’t think he’ll play SS exclusively, but I’d bet that 75%+ of his starts will be at SS.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...