Past their Prime Stars on the O's

19 hours ago, SteveA said:

Not mentioned yet:

Rick Burleson
Ozzie Guillen
Keith Moreland
Jamie Quirk
Derrek Lee

I had forgotten about Burleson.  Between him and Evans and Lynn we had quite the appetite for past their prime Red Sox there for awhile.  

On 3/4/2024 at 1:23 PM, BRobinsonfan said:

When I was looking at Baseball Reference the other day,  I was reminded that Rick Sutcliffe had played for the Orioles near the end of his career in 1993 and 1994.  Rick won Rookie of the Year when he came up with the Dodgers in 1979.  In the course of his career he went on to win the Cy Young Award in 1984 and was a 3 time All Star.  He didn't have HOF numbers, but it got me to thinking about other stars who earned their fame with other teams before playing for the O's for a year or two. 

Of course everyone remembers Reggie Jackson spent a year in orange and black before donning the dreaded Yankee pin stripes.  There was also Sammy Sosa and former Boston stars Fred Lynn and Dwight Evans.  

Who else am I missing?  

Sutcliffe actually was with the Orioles in 92 and 93 and was the one who pitched the opener at Camden Yards.

• Upvote 1

Marty Cordova and his tanning bed. 

Will Clark. Who was better than I remembered, just looking at his stats. I think the issue with him was that he was hurt a lot while he was here. Then went to the Cardinals and absolutely killed it for them down the stretch and then retired. 

From the very old days:

Vern Stephens HOF nominee

Billy Cox-recognized as best fielding 3B until Brooks (Cox, Kell, Robinson-incredible run of 3B)

Preacher Roe-traded with Cox then retired

George Kell-HOF, rarely mentioned Brooks mentor/replacement

Don Larsen/Hoyt Wilhelm/Gene Woodling

Harvey Haddix

Newer not mentioned:

Harold Baines past prime but still good value

Tommy Davis (see above-surprised he wasn't previously mentioned)

Tommy Harper

Ken Holtzman ( double yuck)

Not stars but last gasps: (all personal animus)

Kevin Gregg, David Sequi, Steve Kline, Omar Daal 

Edited by SemperFi
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hoyt's best year was as an Oriole.  He pitched five seasons as an O and pitched a full decade after he left the team.

Good point although he was a "star" in his early years as a Giant then bounced around and was released twice in a year at age 35 prior to the Orioles claiming him.  

Joe Carter, i'm sure someone put that guy on here already. I had such high expectations and he didnt really come close to meeting them. He was a legend in the 90's. But it was clear seeing Carter chase flyballs that he had lost a step or two from his prime.