What if Holliday is sent down?

Sports Guy

Holliday sent down  

113 members have voted

1. 1. What will your reaction be if the Os send Holliday to AAA to start the year?

• Like it. Gives the team the potential to get the extra year of service time and allows him to work on defense and hitting vs lefties in a lower pressure environment
    • Hate it. He’s one of the best players, so he should be out there
    • Don’t really care either way. Happy with either decision

I think it is possible that he is the best option at 2nd base and he still gets sent down to work on defense and vs LHP. If ME decides that it is in his and the teams best interest to do so. Either way, I'd expect him up relatively soon, unless he struggles at Norfolk. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, MCO'sFan said:

I think it is possible that he is the best option at 2nd base and he still gets sent down to work on defense and vs LHP. If ME decides that it is in his and the teams best interest to do so. Either way, I'd expect him up relatively soon, unless he struggles at Norfolk. 

They will definitely give those reasons as to why they send him down.

But that’s just the public reason..not the real ones.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MCO'sFan said:

And if we should get an extra year of his service time in the process, that's just icing on the cake! 

• Upvote 1

He belongs.  He's shown he belongs, and it would be silly to send him to AAA, so I voted #3.  All that being said, I think this is a moot point.  I believe the plan was always to have him start the season in Baltimore, and he is showing out just as they expected.  I'd say there is a 1% chance he gets sent down.  Start him in Bmore, give him a chance to win ROY and net a draft pick, keep him happy and sign the kid long term.  

• Upvote 1

I've said all along that I expect him to be sent down.   Nothing has happened to make me change my mind.   I never thought it really matters how he looks this spring,  he's starting in AAA.  I think he's ready and I'm sure he's one of the best players on the team.   But unfortunately being talented and ready is not the only considerations.  I believe he's down at least until super 2 status is passed.  

• Upvote 1

I put HATED IT but I could just as easily have selected #3. 

There's a real possibility he's our opening day leadoff guy depending on how Mullins recovers. 

2B Holliday

C Rutschman

SS Henderson

RF Santander

1B Mountcastle

DH O'Hearn

LF Hays

CF Cowser

3B Westburg

I think he makes the team, but I also don't care if he's sent down.  That doesn't mean I'd be totally happy about it.

I get that we're all excited to see him and see what he can do, but he'll be in an Orioles uniform be it on Opening Day or sometime in May/June.  I'm not really worried about it.  

I don't want to come off as blindly trusting/agreeing with Elias and Co, but they're correct more often than they're wrong.  So, if they think that he needs some seasoning in AAA, fine.  If they want to game his service clock, I think that means they're not putting out their best talent on the 26 man for a portion of the season which sucks, but I also get it.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They will definitely give those reasons as to why they send him down.

But that’s just the public reason..not the real ones.

Maybe, I think if it is close. The smart thing to do would be to roll the dice and try to get the extra year.  

I don't care either way.

They have to start considering how they are going to manage the service time of all these young players. That includes whether they hand out extensions. That will play a role, IMHO, as to whether Holiday is on the OD roster.

If his long term position is 2B, he might need some work there in MiLB. Though that seems a bit contrived. 

I think there's still a while to go in ST before we will know.

• Upvote 1

In regards to @Sports Guy's posts earlier about his attitude, etc, I haven't seen anything to really suggest that he has a bad attitude, doesn't carry himself well, etc.  I think growing up as the son of a big leaguer who carried himself well was important for him from this perspective, the so-called "makeup" that scouts love to talk about. 

He also got married this offseason which, to me, is a mind-blower for someone with that money at that age (PRENUP DUDE!) but also shows a maturity that's beyond his years.  

When it comes to thinking if he's ready from maturity perspective, it's the part of him that I'm least worried about.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

No way if he is sent down that its only for a couple weeks or months. He won't be back until Spetember to keep rookie status. 

No chance, he's going to be in Baltimore for all of the season or a big bulk of it.  There's no way he's going to be in the minors until September, there's no logical reason for that.

• Upvote 2

From what I've read and heard from Elias, he does not only believe in Holliday, but he's a big fan.  It looks like Jackson is going to get every chance to grab the 2B starting job.  I would assume that would probably move Westburg to 3B.  Will be interesting in who needs "more seasoning".

34 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Start him in Bmore, give him a chance to win ROY and net a draft pick, keep him happy and sign the kid long term.  

17 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

No way if he is sent down that its only for a couple weeks or months. He won't be back until Spetember to keep rookie status. 

He can come up a couple weeks into April and still win ROY. Plenty of guys have won ROY and gotten the extra year of service time. ROY is not a reason to put him on the roster opening day, and it's also not a reason to keep him down until September.

• Upvote 1