DL Hall 2024

Billy F-Face3

I thought it would be good to track DL Hall's season. While he might no longer be an Oriole, I think many of us are still fans of his and want to see him have success.

So far so good on that front. After a successful Spring Training, DL Hall has been named the #2 Starting Pitcher in the Brewers Opening series rotation.

(Side note: Joey Ortiz made the Opening Day roster too and will probably be starting at 3B.)

4/0 K/BB in his final tune-up...who is this guy?    Here is PitcherList's Nick Pollack's review of the outing:

DL Hall (MIL) – 5.0 IP, 2 ER, 5 Hits, 0 BBs, 4 Ks. I watched all of it and we have good news and bad news. Hall looks more polished than I expected – a heavier reliance on his curveball that stunned batters constantly, a reliable changeup, and routine sequencing that made him feel in control of every at-bat – and that makes him primed for six innings far more than I originally thought. However, he’s not overpowering batters as he did as a reliever. Sitting 95/96 mph last year, Hall is now 92/93 mph with a heater that doesn’t bully inside the zone. Much more contact here than I expected to see and I wonder if we’re going to see that explosion appear in season as he settles in more. I’d rather see this command and refined arsenal than Hall sitting 95/96 mph, though, and I’m favoring him more than I used to. He’s ready.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

4/0 K/BB in his final tune-up...who is this guy?    Here is PitcherList's Nick Pollack's review of the outing:

DL Hall (MIL) – 5.0 IP, 2 ER, 5 Hits, 0 BBs, 4 Ks. I watched all of it and we have good news and bad news. Hall looks more polished than I expected – a heavier reliance on his curveball that stunned batters constantly, a reliable changeup, and routine sequencing that made him feel in control of every at-bat – and that makes him primed for six innings far more than I originally thought. However, he’s not overpowering batters as he did as a reliever. Sitting 95/96 mph last year, Hall is now 92/93 mph with a heater that doesn’t bully inside the zone. Much more contact here than I expected to see and I wonder if we’re going to see that explosion appear in season as he settles in more. I’d rather see this command and refined arsenal than Hall sitting 95/96 mph, though, and I’m favoring him more than I used to. He’s ready.

Did this guy mention the lineup Hall was facing?  

image.thumb.png.aec88297db1bf8e617a60093bf299e51.png

The Brewers are plus on pitching development. My guess is deception and ability to be a SP for Hall. Will continue to follow this, but there is a good thread for Ex Orioles.

Ortiz is on the OD roster too! Kinda rooting for Milwaukee this year+

13 hours ago, Since1984 said:

The Brewers are plus on pitching development. My guess is deception and ability to be a SP for Hall. Will continue to follow this, but there is a good thread for Ex Orioles.

Ortiz is on the OD roster too! Kinda rooting for Milwaukee this year+

Yeah, I am excited to follow both this year.  I am rooting for them as well.

6 hours ago, interloper said:

92-93? Hmm. I wonder if build-up work he did last year didn't carry over to this year, or if this is a deliberate thing he's doing as a SP. 

I think DL Hall or Mil management is smart. Pitchers today throw as hard as they can and they wind up needing TJ surgery. Hall throwing 92-93 preserves his arm and he goes deeper in the game. The O's need to take a page out of the Brewers book.

Spotted a 3 run lead in the top of the 1st thanks to Luis Severino looking awful in his Met debut, DL had a rough patch in the bottom of the 1st  but escaped unscathed.   Gave up a hit to Nimmo, a very cheap HBP (batter was crowding the plate and the pitch at most brushed some billowing shirt fabric), and a walk, before getting out of it.

12 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Spotted a 3 run lead in the top of the 1st thanks to Luis Severino looking awful in his Met debut, DL had a rough patch in the bottom of the 1st  but escaped unscathed.   Gave up a hit to Nimmo, a very cheap HBP (batter was crowding the plate and the pitch at most brushed some billowing shirt fabric), and a walk, before getting out of it.

Brewers rotation is in a rough spot if DL is their #2 out of the gate. Hopefully he can take advantage of the opportunity and stick in the rotation.

DL Hall's team won in his first start. I believe that might have only been his 2nd career start in the Majors ever. Today he went 4 innings, allowing 2 ER on 6 hits (1 HR). 2 walks and one strike out.

At one point in the game the benches cleared but I don't know who was on the mound at that point in time. I didn't see the game, but I did see the game story on mlb.com.

https://stories.mlb.com/live/745850.html?_gl=1*1uuidar*_gcl_au*OTM2NzQyODUyLjE3MDQxNzI3MTM.

Joey Ortiz had one plate appearance today. He's batting .200 in 2 games with an OPS of .400.

I'll be looking forward to watching both of them some more and tracking their careers. I want to see them be successful and continue to get better!

I watched most of the game. Crew's announcers. DL pitched a DL game.  Lots of pitches. They said similar. Called less velo, a product of starting. If he can garner command, he'll be fine. His breaking stuff had the Mets whiffing a lot. The Mets are not a good team IMO, in spite of payroll. The Crew had Joey at second and third so far this series. As you would expect, looks good in the field. Third was a bit of a surprise to me. I too, will root for the Brew Crew sept when....

Met's relief pitcher threw behind Ryhs Hoskin's head. That emptied dugouts and let to suspension. Hoskins had a heck of a game. Met's crowd on him all game because of slide into second in first game to break up a double play. He responded and will be a Crew favorite.